mAirList 7 tripped MS Anti-Virus

Moving to a new PC, moved mAirList v6.3. All working. Upgraded to mAirList v7 (Home) and it kept tripping the MS Defender.

Capture

Finally, I was able to exclude the folder but wanted to let you know. It’s a fresh Windows 10 Pro install (refurb Dell) but the defender updates are up to date.

This has been reported in the German forums as well: mAirList v7.3 public beta: Fehlersuche - #37 by Calypso

Most likely a false positive. Defender is notorious for that. I checked the mAirList.exe on virustotal.com, and all scanners say it’s clean, except Microsoft.

Interestingly, on my own Windows 10 VM I use for development, supposedly with the latest Defender updates as well, none of the files were flagged.

I have rebuilt and re-uploaded all versions that I released yesterday, not it seems to be OK. Please download (make sure to clear browser cache!) and try again.

Everybody affected by this issue, please make sure you updated your Defender with the latest Antivirus definitions files (at the time of this writing, 1.403.2993.0 released by Microsoft this morning).

This should avoid the false positives, also confirmed after I reanalyzed the file on VirusTotal this afternoon:

3 Likes

PS: Instructions from Microsoft for a manual update of the definition files:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates

Thank you. Hopefully I can get chance later this evening. Will update the thread.

Bad news I’m afraid. I downloaded latest signatures which by now was 1.403.3022.0, removed the folder exclusion and rain mAirList.

Seemed OK, and as I was just logging on here to say it was good, boom, Virus Alert. Same thing.

date

and what happened. I’ve added the program files folder back to exclusions.

second

This is really annoying. Because I have absolutely no idea what part of the code might make Defender think that there is a virus inside. Also, when I scan the program folder manually, no threat found whatsoever.

It’s like being denied entry at the border, and the officer doesn’t tell you why.

We have reports from people who were running older versions like 7.1.x which were also suddenly flagged by Defender, so it must be related to a definition update.

When you look at the Google results for “Defender false positive” from the last 7 days, you see that there are many other application affected as well, not just us.

Regarding the question why mAirList is still being flagged, I found this here, saying that Defender uses some sort of cache, and keeps flagging things it has flagged before, without actually rescanning them with the latest definition:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-security/trojanwin32winlnkpxjmtb-threat-found-action-needed/746626cd-bcff-464b-9057-ca65e890dd7c?messageId=1b7dbd95-4648-44b7-a297-76bc2a0e4cd6

There is a solution mentioned in the answers (reboot into safe mode, delete a particular folder, reboot again). I cannot try it here, because it never happend on any of my Windows VMs.

Everybody affected by this problem, you you please do the following:

1. Open Windows Event Viewer

2. In the tree on the left, go to Application and Services Logs → Microsoft → Windows → Windows Defender → Operational (it might take a few seconds for the tree to expand)

3. In the event list in the middle, scroll down to the one that reports the detection of mAirList.exe as malicious - it should have a yellow exclamation mark.

4. In the event text, check the version number of the security definitions. In this case here, it was 2990:

Please report this version number - it will help us to track down which security definitions triggered this, and when they were released my Microsoft.

2 Likes

Another interesting information I found when searching for the “!ml” suffix that the virus names have:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-detecting-trojanscriptwacatacbml/7c8eeb99-d529-4243-a8d7-b898bd67fc43

Apparently, it stands for “machine learning”, on other words, AI. So if you wonder why your radio station stopped working, it’s actually not a decision by Microsoft, but by an Artificial Intelligence.

Welcome to the 21st century!

2 Likes

Some Days ago, Windows griped while updating mAirList to Build 5439. I chose install anyway, and it is working inconspicuously at the moment. No traces of this in the Event Log to be found. Because of this, unfortunately I can’t find Defender version number in the log.

I can check in the next day or so and let you know.

As @Tondose mentioned, Microsoft Edge argued with me about downloading mAirList and also WIndows did not want me to install. I was able to easily override. The last one surprised me as you did codesign the installer!

In Windows, type “Defender” in the start menu and it will lead you to Windows Security.
There should be a “Settings” symbol :gear: in the lower left corner. When you click on it, you will see a window with a link to “Info”. Here you can see the latest virus signature of Defender.

This is the Microsoft “Smart Screen” Torben has described in the german section: mAirList v7.3 public beta: Fehlersuche - #44 by Torben

No, this one I know and ignore regularly. It indeed warned me installing malware what I had to override manually by finding some concealed link which let the carry-on-button appear.

Antivirus version is Antiviren-Version: 1.403.3048.0 today (might have changed since). (Thank you, @uli.mairlist)

Got 2 instances that triggered Defender:
A trial of build 5616 was running on a Windows Server 2022 and Defender kicked in, so mAirlist crashed:
Security intelligence Version: AV: 1.403.2949.0, AS: 1.403.2949.0, NIS: 1.403.2949.0
Engine Version: AM: 1.1.23110.2, NIS: 1.1.23110.2

My original report was with build 5618 (first one) on a Windows 11:
|Security intelligence Version: AV: 1.401.1290.0, AS: 1.401.1290.0, NIS: 1.401.1290.0
Engine Version: AM: 1.1.23100.2009, NIS: 1.1.23100.2009

Another question to those affected:

Can you please take another look into the Event Log, and check if there is a message saying that “cloud protection” was being used, just prior to the detection of the (supposed) trojan? Just like here:

In my case:
On the 2022 host: no (that was also just a “normal” QuickScan)
On the Windows 11: yes
Microsoft Defender Antivirus used cloud protection to get additional security intelligence.
Current security intelligence Version: 1.401.1290.0
Security intelligence Type:
User:
Current Engine Version: 1.1.23100.2009
Cloud protection intelligence Type: Security intelligence update
Persistence Path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\RtSigs\data\3739e7b349c2369f9d553ceda1856716287468b6
Cloud protection intelligence Version: 0.0.0.0
Cloud protection intelligence Compilation Timestamp: 30/01/2024 17:51:09
Persistence Limit Type: Duration
Persistence Limit: 50065408

Sorry, I was away from the office for a couple of days due to illness. In the meantime, the problem can be regarded as solved, I think. But let me take the chance to summarize the events and our findings:

Around January 31st, there were a coupld of people reporting that Windows Defender had killed and deletetd their mAirList installation, claiming that it contained one of several malwares, in particular “Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml”, "Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml”, or others.

Apparently, it was not only the latest version 7.2/7.3 that was affected (so it couldn’t be pinned down to any changes we made in the code recently, but we also received reports from people who where running older versions like 7.1, and hadn’t updated their playout in months.

We had this situation before, and it was obvious that this must be a “false positive” (antivirus software detecting malware where there is none actually). So the first thing we did was uploading the current mAirList.exe (7.2.7 at that time) to virustotal.com, a website that checks a file with 60+ different antivirus products at the same time. This is the report we were getting:

As you can see, all other antivirus products thought that the file was safe, only Defender said it was a threat. So clearly a false positive. This happens every now and then, and we are not the only ones affected, it happens with other applications as well (even open source software). Some examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/19fdp06/windows_defender_thought_proton_was_a_trojan/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1acbp0v/anyone_else_getting_bombarded_with_defender/
https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/1aepfes/warband_script_extender_2_v1115_flagged_as_trojan/
https://www.reddit.com/r/WEPES/comments/1aewicr/pesedit_2013_marked_as_a_trojan/

Usually, there is one “bad” signature file (Antivirus update), and Microsoft fixes it quickly (Defender signatures are updated multiple times a day). So while we could not do much about it, we were confident that it would “heal itself” after a few hours. By the way, you can look up the current Antivirus version (= definition files) in the Windows Security settings → Settings → About:

Another thing we found out during research was that Defender is “caching” its results, which means, if a file (identified by its MD5 checksum) is regarded as malware one, it will not be checked again soon, even if it wasn’t malware anymore according to an update definition file. So in order to force Defender re-checking our executable, we quickly released an update, version 7.2.8. Other than bumping the version number, the only change in that version was that we started to sign the mAirList.exe file with our code signing certificate, hoping that that would make a difference to Defender. In earlier versions, only the installer was digitally signed, not the actual executable.

Unfortunately, the next morning, we were still getting reports of mAirList being deleted, even with the latest Defender updates. Interestingly, when I used virustotal.com again to re-check the 7.2.7 executable, it was “all green” now:

So there must have been some kind of magic happening in Windows Defender in the background. Luckily, we received remote access to one of the customer machines that were affected, so we were able to dig deeper into the Windows Event Log, and found this:

Apparently, Defender leveraged some kind of “cloud protection” to check the file, and the result was that it had to be deleted. There is very little information on the web regarding this cloud protection thing, what it does and how it does it. Apparently it is controlled by these switches in the Windows Security settings:

And we found this (older) article by Microsoft that says that the aim of “cloud protection” is to identify and eliminate threats before they even happen, with the help of machine learning (AI): Windows Defender Antivirus cloud protection service: Advanced real-time defense against never-before-seen malware | Microsoft Security Blog

So judging by the evidence we have found, it is most likely that the following happened:

• Some part of our code, that has been around for months or years, suddently triggered Windows Defender to think that mAirList.exe is subject to further checking by “cloud-delivered protection”, and upload the file to Microsoft servers for further analysis.

• On these servers, some artificial intelligence concluded that our software is malware, and instructed the local Windows Defender to to delete it. The “ml” suffix in the alleged malware name was a hint that some kind of machine learning played a role here.

• This happened independently from the actual Antivirus version, and it could not be reproduced by a manual check of the file on the affected machine.

We have absolutely no idea what part of our code triggered Defender to use it’s cloud protection. As I said, even versions that were several months old were affected, so the code must have been around for a very long time, but Defender did not care about it until that day (and also not anymore after it). One possible thing is the new “update check” mechanism we introduced in mAirList 7, based on the popular WinSparkle library, which, of course, makes some HTTP requests every now and then to check for updates. But this is just a guess. On the other hand, maybe not, because WinSparkle is in its own DLL, and the threat was supposed to be in the main executable.

We also don’t know what exactly happens on the server side of the cloud protection, in other words, what made that AI thinking that our software was a virus. This is a total black box and absolutely not under our control. I find it very questionable that Microsoft uses techniques likes this, which can lead to the instant deletion of legit software.

All I know is that, while everybody claims that AI will make lives easier for the future generations - it made our lives definitely harder that week.

What are our conclusions and countermeasures?

First of all, as we do not know which part of our code triggered all this, there is not much we can do about it on our side. I already mentioned that we started signing our executable, not just the installer, and we will definitely look into getting an even better (and more expensive) “extended validation” (EV) certificate for that, which will also stop the annoying attempts by Windows SmartScreen to keep people from downloading and installing our application. Maybe the EV certificate will also help with Windows Defender false positives, who knows.

If you are using Windows Defender, and you want to make sure that it does not delete mAirList without asking you, we can only recommend one of the following:

• Turn off cloud protection.
  • Add an exception rule for the mAirList program folder.
  • Or switch to a different security software altogether.

On the other hand, you can just hope that this was a single event, and will not happen again soon.

3 Likes