Which Keyboard?

Hi Guys

Wanting to get a custom keyboard for my on-air studio to use with mAirlist.

Are there any decent quality customisable keyboards out there that you’d recommend, and preferably one I won’t have to re-mortgage the house for? :slight_smile:

I’m a great fan of Xkeys (www.xkeys.com). I have the 20 key version. They plug into the USB and you can map anything to any key! Depends what you mean mortgage house for ;D

Hi Shane, we use the 96 key from the Tipro range (you can purchase additional keypads to change the buttons to single, 2 or 4 space size).

Pictured in this link is the 128 keyboard (other sizes available).

edit the Link:http://www.tipro.si/index_products_free_tmkbx128a.htmledit

Contact the guys at P Squared for a price.

http://support.psquared.net/contacts.htm

As always, I suggest looking at eBay for EPOS Keyboards or Tipro. The Tipro series often come upon eBay for reasonable money and they’re programmed by the free software from their site - Make sure you get one with a cable as the mating connector on the keyboard is a bit of a strange-beast. They also have a 6pin miniDIN that allow you to piggy-back your normal QWERTY for general use as well as programming. All of the keys come off and, as Tony says, the buttons can be re-arranged to suit your desired layout.

If you see one with a swipe card reader, fear not - These are easily removed with a screwdriver :slight_smile: A few years ago we mused about actually using them to alter the Cartwall in mAirList to a particular user (via their credit card) but nothing ever came of it!!

Cash cards are a better bet than credit cards as people carry them more often. :wink:

IME, programming swipe card readers is pretty easy. The ones I used to program for were pretty easy, anyway! I think it’s track 2 on the card that has e.g. account number but it’s a LONG time ago!

I think in mAirListScript, you would need a button that says ‘read card’ or similar.

BFN
Cad

I seem to recall that my initial thoughts were a simple VB6 SystemTray app to monitor the keyboard and “grab” the mag-strip data and then issue a mAirList command via the external EXE that Torben produced. This was a few year’s ago (probably during v2) so options may be easier now.