Warning for MariaDB users on Synology

Hello everyone,

A message so that you don’t experience the same horrible week that I just had.
A few weeks ago, Synology offered an update of its MariaDB10 package, from version 10.3.37 to version 10.11.2.
As I had never encountered any difficulty with updates, I did it.
A priori, nothing abnormal during the first days until I generated a playlist for the following week > MairlistDB completely frozen. I still left it running and generating the playlist took 4 hours…

After discussion with Synology services (and also Torben), they advised me to downgrade the version.
Except that to downgrade, you must delete the package and install the previous version.
Previously, it was possible to delete MariaDB while retaining the databases and user accounts.
Well, not since this version…

So I had to uninstall and delete my database to be able to properly reinstall everything (I should point out that obviously, all this was done hot, since the station is on air).

For those who think that HyperBackup could save me… Well it failed… I did try to restore the database with HyperBackup, except that as the last backup had been carried out with the last version of MariaDB, so I needed the updated version.
I tried to recover with the updated version (so as not to have lost too many logs), after 10 hours still nothing…

In short, I managed to get out of this mess while losing 7 days of logs in the process.
On the other hand, generating a week’s playlist only took a good minute.

Morality:

• Do not update to the latest version of MariaDB for Synology users
  • Create a SQL dump of your database via planned tasks to be sure to maintain a readable and usable version of your database

That’s it for me. I hope this message saves you from wasting as much time as I did.

A+
Matthieu

5 Likes

I confirm that the bug in the new version of MariaDB has been detected by Synology services.
And I therefore invite you not to update to version 10.11.2

@Torben

1 Like