VTDJ role not able to record voicetracks?

Recently I posted some remarks about voicetracking.
When voicetracking using the VTDJ Role within the database app, several errors appear when importing / savng the voicetrack and playlist.

The first error is that you don’t have the rights for voicetracking, but you should be folder manager.
Second error is a unexpected filename appears.
And last the dots in the playlist remain green instead of orange.
In a previous post about voicetracking I have placed some pictures. (Sorry for crossposting, but this post is more specified on VTDJ role)

anyone else have this same problem?

If Torben or Uli want to test this. I am able to create a login to test the connection.

Are all of these related to the VTDJ role? In other words, does everything work correctly when you are e.g. admin?

The user roles Folder Manage, Manager and Administrator have no problem recording and processing voice tracks.
For those roles, the ‘Add Items’ and ‘Move Items’ should be available for the specific person, but that seems fair.

VTDJ does have this problems, this is with the atabase connection within the LAN as well as the connection via the DBServer.

I also noticed that while voicetracking on a PC within the LAN, the voicetrack settings can cause problems.
As soon as the folder ‘Save to folder’ in the voicetrack settings is equal to the ‘Default voicetrack’ folder. Then an error will appear stating that the file cannot be imported. Logical because you want to import the source file to the source file.
So you should always create a separate recording folder for voice tracks. This with the problem that the voicetracks are saved 2x.
It would be nice if a voice track could be recorded directly in the ‘default folder’ on the local PC?

IF you like i can make u a connection so u can see what happens

Here some screenshots to show the errors when recording a VT in VTDJ role.

Settings:

Import error:

Filename error:

This seem the same like before. The filename/url is saved for the local file, not the file on the server. In the studio the filename/url is also the local filename/url:
Studio URL:

Playlist issue after save:

This is version 7.0.1?

And which of these errors are related to the VTDJ role? Or do they also happen with e.g. admin role?

I am using beta version 5032.
These errors only show up when using VTDJ. All other roles don’t have any of those errors.
They import the voicetrack and also save the playlist correctly (also with the orange dots in the playlists).

I just tested voicetracking with all roles from VTDJ and higher. All Library permissions were allowed, only the general permisson ‘Delete Audio Files’ was disabled.

mAirList 7 is no longer beta. :wink:

My bad… Build 5032 :wink:

Can you please:

1. Send bug reports from the “Details” buttons in the error dialogs.

2. If you want to facility debugging, create a test account for me and send the details to support@mairlist.com.

I will send u the details and bug report within a few minutes.

Thanks. Just took a brief look - I assume first comes the “Access Violation” error (but dialog stays open), and when you click OK again, you get the “Invalid filename” one?

Will do more testing later.

The first error appears when press save>import
Then i close the error pop up and get back to the VT screen.
When pressing save again, this gives the unexpected filename error.
After closing that pop up, pressing the cancel button in the VT screen is the only way to close the vtscreen

then you’ll see the voicetrack in the playlist, but with the green dots.

saving the playlist itself is withour errors

As you say. Firsr the acces violation and then the filename error.

Ok, I see the problem. It’s that the backend doesn’t allow the VTDJ to move the newly uploaded item into the destination folder, because only Folder Manager may do that.

The other errors you see are just results of inferior error handling :wink:

The thing here is that “upload voice track to folder xyz” is not a single API call, but actually involves three calls:

1. Upload the actual audio file to the destination storage.
  2. Create the item dataset in the library (obtaining the newly created ID).
  3. Move item to destination folder (the one you set in the config).

1 and 2 are already permitted for VTDJ users, but 3 still needs the Folder Manager role. So I must change that to VTDJ as well. It’s some kind of security risk, because it will - technically - allow the VTDJ user to move any item to any folder (not just voice tracks). But only on API level - the GUI will still prevent it.

I’ll change that for the next snapshot. Remember to update the server as well (and most importantly).

Good to hear you found the issue.
Strange part is that the voicetrack IS moved to the destination folder on the server. When recording a voicetrack, it is copied / moved to the default voicetrack folder of the server. The handling isn’t right somehow. If you would record a voicetrack there (by the connection I gave you) and save it, it will be send to my server. You may try if you like, I can tell yuo the voicetrack ID when i recieve it.

If u want to test that just record a small voicetrack ans i can give u the ID of the voicertack you recorded.

Still it can be an authorize error as you say since the voicetrack handling in other roles were working fine.
It is clear that somehow the VTDJ should be authorised to more options. I am sure it will be well secured when it gets more rights.

When the new snapshot is online I will update all instances (including the server) and i will let you know if it works.

I have another question about user roles and voicetracking.
I want to create a user role for someone who becomes a Manager. However, I do not want this person to be able to manually add or remove an item. As soon as I disable the add item option, the person can no longer voice track.
As soon as this Manager (or any other role where the add items function is disabled in the permissions) records a voicetrack. At the time of import, the message appears that there are not enough permissions because the person cannot add items.
Is this correct, or should the person actually be able to add voicetracks items ‘in the background’?

Is it possible to allow this, but not have the person manually add items?
If not, then this is (again) a request (for all rules). :wink:

Unfortunattely, after updating all systems to build 5033 (server and remote pc), When voicetracking while using the VTDJ role, the message ‘need to be folder manager’ still shows up.
I was only able to test this by a DBserver connection so I am not sure if it still is having this message when using it in local mode.

@Torben - If you like I can send u a login for testing again, altough the last ones are still active :wink:

@Torben somehow last night my internetprover switched my ip adress. if you would liket o have a test login for testing the VTDJ function, please let me know.

Please try again in build 5034 (will upload this afternoon).

Voicetracking for VTDJ role is now working when having the ‘add items’ and ‘move items’ in the user permission enabled, otherwise the voicetracking isn’t working.
No problem you would say, but the only (quite a big) thing now is that the user who is having a VTDJ role is able to add items in the database itself! Something normally only a manager or admin should be allowed to. It can add all types of items in the database app. Also a VTDJ can use the ‘import files’ under ‘new item’ within the database app. Is it possible to get that disabled, or is it dependent on the permissions given in the user role?

In a previous post Torben mentioned that these actions would be on API level, and GUI would still prevent it. That is correct for moving items, not for adding items. I hope that would be possible too, since you don’t want a VTDJ to add items into he database itself.

For your info, only the ‘add items’ and ‘move items’ permissions are enabled, all others are disabled.