Volume headroom-Midi remote

Hello,

I’m a new user of mAirlist v6.1.2 and very enthousiastic about it!

I’m trying to set up a midi remote, and I found on the wiki how a fader on myMIDI controller controls the volume :

PLAYER 1-1 VOLUME $DATA2/127

That’s great :slight_smile:

This will set the volume to the fader position. The /127 parts defines the 0 dB point to be at the upper end of the fader range. You could also use a value like /100 if you want some overhead in the volume.

However, I can’t manage to get this headroom volume on my fader, with a value=100, to amplify the signal, like a real mixer.
I see my incoming midi messages in the remote control console that keeps growing (from 100 to 127), but nothing happens on the sound.
Am I missing something? Or maybe I try something not possible with the application

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Actually it should be possible to set volume higher than 0dB. Just try in the Remote Control Console in the About menu:

PLAYER 1-1 VOLUME 20

(= +20dB)

Just note that many sound drivers have a limiter that will reduce volume to prevent clipping. So you may not really hear a difference if the signal is already at a very high level. But when you set it back to zero amplification (PLAYER 1-1 VOLUME 0), you will notice the signal to drop shortly before restoring to normal volume.

That’s at least happening with my development machine (Windows 7 VM running in Parallels Desktop, playing into Dante Virtual Soundcard running on the host).

Thank you Torben! :slight_smile:

It’s indeed working. But I was confused because of the level indicator/slider that doesn’t update with the value sent via Midi (it does however shows “20dB” when I enter “PLAYER 1-1 VOLUME 20” in the Remote Control Console)
Is there anyway to hide this slider (didn’t find it in the setup) or to make it show the updated value?
Am I wrong or so does the peakmeter, which seems to act like a PFL meter?

(Hehe, I guess you’re working on a Mac -good choice- if you use parallel desktop ;D

It’s ok, I found how to remove the volume slider. It’s in the gui.ini file

It’s also in the standalone configuration software (in Windows Start Menu), no need to edit ini files manually (other than skin.ini, but that’s a different story).

ok

thank you!