Voicetrack recording

Hello all,

I have not been using Mairlist for long.

I have a symetrix 628 behind my mic and when I use it like that it sounds nice and full.
But when I go voice-tracing it sounds completely different.
How is this possible?

Have a shure sm7b with a symetrix 628
and have an airence mixer.

Thanks in advance

You might think I’m crazy, but: I can share the experience, as I visited a radio colleague in germany in Summer 2019.
He is using Shure’s SM7B with an Airlite (pre-processor unknown). As we were testing the VT bus, the SM7B recording had a complete different sound to the main bus signal.

I had no idea about it, but as you reported about it with an Airence, I started wondering again and think about something hardware-related.

I tested VT on Mixers from Allen & Heath as well as a D&R (Airmate 1st generation, no VT bus) and had no problems.
On the other hand, why should the record from the VT bus sound different from the main bus? You don’t use an insert on the mic channel, do you?

yes i use a microphone channel

Did you check your audio routing for the mic channel being routed twice to the same destination somewhere? Also, there might be some phasing issues around. A sample recording right/wrong might be helpful here.

Guessing regards

TSD

what do you mean by audio routing?

It might get somewhat difficult if you own a mixer like the Airence and do not know what “audio routing” means.

This is an expression for your complete audio setup, which input is wired to what output and vice versa, and, further, how the in- and outputs of your audio interface are connected in mAirList internally.

Fundamental regards

TSD