Troubleshooting software

Hello-

During past discussions with M-Audio tech support (Delta), they suggested a software program that could be placed on a computer to determine whether a computer suffered latency issues, a cause of sound card problems (pops, drop-outs). Now, my IT friend has mentioned the same program as one he uses to troubleshoot. The software is a free download.

My question is whether it’s acceptable to post 3rd party software information, such as this program, on this forum? If so, I’ll post again with the information.

Regards, Alec.

Feel free to post the link. I suppose it’s not a competitor of mAirList.

Indeed: no problem with posting links to other potentially useful software.

UNLESS, as Torben says, it’s a direct competitor to mAirList! OTHER sorts of software may well be of interest to others here.

BTW, just knowing that a PC has latency issues is one thing; finding the cause of them is another. Causes can include unnecessary or poorly-written drivers; software that connects to the Internet for updates (I’d suiggest that ANY on-air PC is NOT connected to the Internet, and you do any updates manually); and things running in the background that don’t need to be (often, but not always, ‘things’ in the System Tray).

Microsoft/Sysinternals utility programs like Process Explorer and Autoruns can help you identify ‘stuff’ that can possibly be got rid of or uninstalled, but I’d recommend that you get an ‘IT person’ to do that analysis for you. If not, you can easily make things worse, not better!

BFN
CAD

Thank you.

Okay, here is the program. It will notify you whether your computer has latency issues, which could cause pops, clicks, drop-outs. But as Cad mentioned, this program will not tell you the source. Instead, you’ll need to go into Device Manager, temporarily disable the suspected cause, and then run the program again to see whether the problem has been solved. Just another tool for the “troubleshooting toolbox.”

It’s a single .exe and instructions are listed.

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Regards, Alec

An interesting piece of software that I haven’t heard of. Thanks for sharing.

You’re welcome. Hopefully, it will be of use to those who suffer from audio problems, at least get them started in the right direction.

Best Regards, Alec M.

Ooh! Yes indeed Alec, nice one!

BFN
CAD

Thank you Cad ! :slight_smile:

Regards, Alec