Soundcraft SAC200

Hi,
I have recently acquired a Soundcraft SAC200 and am looking at connecting this to marlist to do fader starts. Now this seems pretty simple but just want to check I’m not missing anything here.

Each fader has a 9 pin logic out for external control with the pin diagram as below:

1 = Logic GND
2 = On Access (Input B selected)
3 = + 7.5v
4= On Access (Input A selected)
5 = CUE Enable Acsess
6 = Logic GND
7 = N/C
8 = + 7.5v
9 = N/C

Now am i right in saying if i just connect a serial to serial lead from the logic port on the mixer into a serial hub like (http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/181142655822?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63&ff19=0) for each fader then thats all thats needed ?

Seems very simple but just want to check that i’m not missing anything or is it not as easy as just connecting a serial to serial ?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi,

an RS232 COM Serial to USB hub is probably not the correct device for your needs. The Pinout of the Soundcraft console suggests it’s a GPI port rather than serial - to use those with mAirlist, devices like the I/O Warrior are better suited.

Kind regards,

McCavity

McCavity is right.

Although the desk uses the same 9-pin connector, it is not a RS232 serial port!

Thanks both, Glad i asked!

Would it be possible then to wire to a game port as in Charlie Davy’s example posted on this forum ? If so would i wire from the Access On pin or via the + 7.5v

Thanks

No, it is not possible to wire up a logic GPI port to a game port! Well, not unless you want to risk frying the PC and possibly the Soundcraft as well. Charlie’s game port wiring example only applies to (usually older) desks where the channels use a simple contact closure which is often simply wired in parallel with the equivalent switch on the channel and not a full-blown logic interface like the one on the Soundcraft SAC200.

That is why you do need to use an IO-Warrior or similar device which is designed to use logic signals. Trying to bodge up some ‘cheap and cheerful’ alternative will at best, just not work; and at worst, as I’ve said, it will cause expensive damage. At least you can’t say we didn’t warn you!

BFN
Cad