Soundcraft RM105

Hello!

Is there anyone who integrated a Soundcraft RM105 with mAirlist?

Faderstart and so on…

Regards
Patrik
Vårgårda, Sweden

Not yet, Patrick (we hope to buy one of these desks soon), but what you need to do is to cable pins 2 and 9 of a 15-pin D connector for each channel you want to fader-start, and attach each cable to mAirList.

To do this, the standard and inexpensive method is to use a 10-button USB gamepad (from Logic3, SpeedLink, or whomever), remove the board from the case but keeping the USB cable attached ;), then solder each pair of cables from the RM105 to one of the sets of contacts which WAS used by a gamepad button.

The RM105 uses isolated relay-contact closures so you do NOT need to use optocouplers to isolate the desk contacts from the gamepad.

The polarity of the desk contacts (i.e. pins 2 and 9) should not matter, but if it does not work, you MAY need to swap the contacts over at the gamepad end.

Obviously you need to house the gamepad board somewhere: you can either put it into a standard ‘hobby project’ case or even mount it on the inside of the PC case by more-or-less taping it inside a panel (not really recommended unless you are SURE you know what you are doing!).

However, having said all that, if you are NOT handy with a soldering iron, or have ANY doubt about what you are doing, DO consult someone with some electronics and PC knowledge to help you.

There was at one time an excellent video which demonstrated the entire project, but I could not find it when I looked just now (does anyone know where it is?).

You do in mAirList need to go into Config, Remote Controls, Joystick/Gamepad and assign each ‘button’ to a player START command.

If you also want to use the STOP command the RM105 sends when the fader is closed, you need an extra ‘gamepad button’ available, which you cable to pins 3 and 10 on the channel D-connector. In mAirList Config, you then assign that ‘button’ to a player STOP command.

Unfortunately the RM105 does not have corresponding contacts from the CUE button, so you can’t use the channel CUE button to auto-start PFL in mAirList.

I hope that answers your questions? If not, please ask again in this thread.

BFN
CAD

Thanks for that!

Have the opportunity to borrow one to test and perhaps buy later.
It has a mic and two line inputs and one for the phone. Can I buy modules to it today?

But the question is if I have time to fix it.
Can start by buying a gamepad and build a box to connect the different devices.
Any particular model? Usually make my purchases on ebay.co.uk.

/patrik
PS. I speak and write English but I’m lazy and use Google Translate …

If you need no more than 4 fader start inputs, a USB-to-gamepad adapter like this one will work quite as well: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Gameport-15-pin-adaptor-/400199368647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d2dbdbfc7

All you need to do is connect the closures to the button pins (and a common GND), and add two 50k resistors to the x and y axis pins to make the interface recognize the mixer as a proper joystick.

Charlie has a good tutorial on his site: http://www.charliedavy.co.uk/technical.php

Ok! I already have one… Do I need a Gamper also?

Will probably design some type of control surface!

No, you don’t need a gamepad then. You can just connect the mixer fader start outputs to the button pins. Just take a look at Charlie’s tutorial.

Thanks!
Must give it a try …

Someone who used the Arduino microprocessor?

Haven’t heard of them. Looks interesting though.

Yes, the RM105 is a ‘current’ desk so any Soundcraft dealer should be able to supply extra channel modules, assuming that you have space in the chassis (!).

I guess you already know that even though you have a telco channel, you still need an external telephone balancing unit like Sonifex, Wizard, etc.?

I assume by ‘two line inputs,’ you mean two desk channels, not just one line in channel with the line1/line2 switch? You would really need at least two line in channels (one for each mAirList Player), and preferably a third line in for the Cartwall (plus, if you use CDs, one line in channel per CD player).

Hope that helps.

BFN
CAD