Setting up SQL Database

Hello

Iv just got a question regarding the creation and setup of a New SQL Database on an existing Mairlist Setup.

I understand that Mairlist Pro has a built in SQL Database utility , my question is …

Could I use this , as our Media Files are stored on a Networked NAS Device that serves x2 Mairlist installations over our Network ?

I have no experience with SQL Databases so I am looking for the simplest solution for this …

Any help … or offers of assistance would be greatly appreciated … We are based in the Staffordshire Moorlands if somebody is willing to offer me some help with this project …

Thanks

Matt

The SQL server (PostgreSQL or MSSQL) part ist actually absolutely separate from the audio file parts.

So you could have the SQL on a network server and the audio files on a local drive, or vice versa, or SQL and files on the same computer, and also multiple SQL databases (and multiple audio folders) on the same server, of course.

Thanks Torben,

Iv been told that SQL Databases and NAS drives don`tend to be that reliable… Has anyone had experiences
with this and Mairlist ?

You probably heard of local databases (.mldb files) getting corrupted when storing them on a NAS drive, or a network drive in general. That’s true, because of the way the database engine (SQlite) works. It is highly recommended to use a local drive for the .mldb file, and mAirList will display a warning when you create or open a database file on a network share.

When it comes to a network SQL database (PostgreSQL or MSSQL), mAirList doesn’t really care about the computer that the database servers runs on, if it’s the playout computer, or a server on the network, or whatever.

The ideal solution would certainly be a dedicated server on your LAN which is accesible by all workstations including the studio. PostgreSQL (which is recommended over MSSQL) is available for both Windows and Linux, so most people just set up a small server for this purpose, or reuse their existing file server. Or they just install PostgreSQL on their studio or automation computer.

Some people have also managed to use the PostgreSQL server on their Synology NAS to host a mAirListDB instance (Synology DSM uses PostgreSQL for its internal applications), but this involves some serious hacking and is not recommended unless you are an experienced Linux system admin.

When it comes to the actual audio files, they are not stored inside the SQL server, but simply on a network (or local) drive, so it doesn’t really matter where the SQL server is running; see my comment above.