Saving data in linear .wav files.

After 3 years or so, having callously deserted you all since version 2 ceased to exist being supported as it was then, I popped into see how y’all are doing. and downloaded the community version for evaluation.

In the tagger, am I supposed to be able to save data according to BWF format (think I’ve got that right) as adopted by CoolEdit Pro, Adobe Audition, BSI’s Simian Automation system to name but a few?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

If not, what current standard are you using to embed information into linear .wav files?

Kind regards to you Torben… and Charlie, Cad, Tony, and all the rest of the die-hards… (grin)

mAirList does not write any information to WAV files. Saving to file tags is only supported for MP3 files.

Reading BWF metadata is not fully supported yet. Perhaps you can send me a few short sample files so I can see what I can extract from them?

This is a good place to start.

http://www.bsiusa.com/software/info_edit/info_editor.php

It’s freeware.

Rename attached file Copy of File with embedded BWF data.wav

[quote=“Torben, post:2, topic:7151”]mAirList does not write any information to WAV files. Saving to file tags is only supported for MP3 files.

Reading BWF metadata is not fully supported yet. Perhaps you can send me a few short sample files so I can see what I can extract from them?[/quote]

Linear Wav File Data 01.PNG

Linear Wav File Data 02.PNG

[quote=“Torben, post:2, topic:7151”]mAirList does not write any information to WAV files. Saving to file tags is only supported for MP3 files.

Reading BWF metadata is not fully supported yet. Perhaps you can send me a few short sample files so I can see what I can extract from them?[/quote]

Attached pix are from the above mentioned InfoEditor (compliments of BSI)

BSI Info Editor 01 & 2.PNG

BSI Info Editor 03 & 4.PNG

Thanks, Chris. I remember this Info Editor, and that I have looked into this issue, but I really can’t remember why I didn’t finish the implementation. I’ll have another look.

I’m curious if any of our illustrious team have any alternative suggestions, or criticisms.

It looks like a fairly standard BWF LIST-INFO chunk that’s in your sample WAV file.
http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/audio-visual/documents/listinfo.html has more detailed info. about this format.

BFN
CAD

[quote=“Cad, post:8, topic:7151”]It looks like a fairly standard BWF LIST-INFO chunk that’s in your sample WAV file.
http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/audio-visual/documents/listinfo.html has more detailed info. about this format.

BFN
CAD[/quote]

A quote from your link CAD…

[font=Verdana]ISFT Software Identifies the name of the software package used to create the file, such as Audacity 1.3.9. [/font]

Anyone using audacity in this regard (That is, embedding data in linear .wav files (not the vanilla version)?

Well, not me, for one. I wouldn’t use Audacity if you paid me! I find it an incredibly counter-intuitive program for anything except simple recording and cutting, and it seems to do anything useful with it, you have to find, download, and install a gazillion add-ons. Assuming you can find an add-on to do what you want in the first place, that is.

Sorry, but Audacity is just not for me. I’ve tried several times to use it, and every time I end up uninstalling it after an hour or two, and vowing NEVER to try it again. Then I go looking for some puppies, a sack, some rocks, and a DEEP river. >:(

But to answer your question, AFAICS Audacity didn’t support BWF until 1.3.3 (1.3.x is currently their beta version).

My ancient version of Sound Forge (V4 or so I think? It was bundled with an old Creative card), along with (currently) ACID Music Studio does me fine. I’m looking very seriously at replacing ACID with Cockos Reaper, though. Since many people I know who use Audacity tell me they find Reaper a little counter-intuitive to use, logically it sounds like a perfect fit for yours truly! :smiley: I don’t plan to spend more than the USD $60 that Reaper V4 (when available) would cost me on any audio editing/mixing software, especially since Reaper seems to include so many ‘goodies’ straight out of the box.

The 0.999 (last freeware) version of Reaper I’ve tried seems not so different from ACID, Reaper’s latest version 3.74 looks pretty spiffy, and if I wait a little while for V4 to arrive first, I expect that will be even better. If not complete overkill for my modest needs. ;D

All in my personal opinion, of course. :wink:

BFN
CAD

Understood :slight_smile: