Problems with M3U import

We ve just started working with a 3rd party scheduler that produces playlists in M3U format.

When trying to load a simple one hour .m3u it can take over 10 minutes to load and Mairlist becomes very unstable … when we use normal Mairlist .mlp files and playlists , they load within seconds normally ?

Any idea why Mairlist is struggling with .M3u files ?

Is there a config setting we can tweak to stop this happening ?

If no metadata exists for the files (part of the library of any connected database, MMD files, mAirList-style file tags), Auto Cue will be performed when loading M3U files, which will take a long time indeed.

Best practice is to either maintain MMD files, or set up a mAirListDB (as a metadata store).

Hi Torben

We re just using filebased system no database at present .

The weird thing is when loading an .mpl Mairlist playlist , its loads quickly without problem , using the exact same files … any ideas ?

.mlp has metadata embedded in the XML.

Is there a quick work around for this problem ?

As I said, set up a database for metadata storage, or create MMD files for all files.

Or turn off Auto Cue in the config, but you won’t have any crossfades then.

Cheers Torben … is there a way to batch create MMD files for them quickly

You can e.g. use the Mass Edit dialog to batch create them.

On a side note, your question made me think if we should have some sort of “auto create MMD” function, so that MMD files are created when a file is first encountered, speeding up future loading times.

I have added such an option to build 3845 of mAirList 6.1. It’s not possible to port it back to v5 though, as it utiliizes some code that is not available in earlier versions.