pc setup for mairlist

Hello

I want to rebuild my pc only for use with mairlist.
Win xp or Windows 7?
And I read somewhere that virus scan gifs problems so built a system whiteout virus scan ?
The only thing that uses internet will be the encoder for streaming.
I have 8 gig of ram can I make settings that mairlist can use all of that?
And are there more things where I have to think off

Henk

There will be no security updates for XP anymore from next month, so using Windows 7 or 8 is certainly a good idea. Both come with WASAPI, a new audio layer that has a couple of advantages over DirectSound, in particular lower latency.

The antivirus software built into Windows 7 and 8 (“Microsoft Security Essentials”) is known for its bad realtime scanning performance. Consider using a third-party software instead.

mAirList is a 32-bit application and can only use 2 GB of RAM - but a typical mAirList instance will only consume some 50 MB.

So does this mean that its not necessary to run an I3 processor with 4 GB ram? Would Core 2 Duo be sufficient?

I personally (I’m an I.T consultant and broadcast engineer of many many years) built a Windows 7 Pro 64bit system.

SSD for the boot drive for Windows and mAirList, and a Western Digital RED 1TB for storage of the audio and database.

My system uses 6GB of RAM, and runs AVG Anti Virus free edition.

I’ve also turned off Windows updates, to prevent reboots due to updating, and installed TeamViewer to do remote desktop. I do manual windows updates during lower listenership times.

Hope that helps!

Matt, why don’t you run the audio from the SSD drive?

Namely because I recently watch an SSD denigrate before my eyes, whilst franticly trying to recover the data for my client.

Sadly for him though, files vanished before I could copy them off. And that was a Samsung 840 series drive, no more that 2 years old, maybe 3 at a push.

Once an SSD fails, there’s no way to recover the data. HDD’s have a longer life span, and the Western Digital RED’s are designed for always on, file server environments.

Even though you should always back up your data, it is still a good idea to have a reliable hardware setup in addition to any back up service.

The other reason I use HDD’s over SSD’s for storage is the cost per Gigabyte. Traditional HDD’s are a lot cheaper.

This is the exact recommandation I would give as well.
Use the SSD for OS and Apps only, do regular backups and put your Music on a 24/7 capable HDD, also Keep a 2nd SSD in spare.

From my experiance with these low Budget consumer grade MLC SSDs they do fail a lot more than HDDs.
Anny SSD that is MLC and that cost less than 2000,-€ you can not trust.

It is also a good idea NOT to buy the very latest CPU/ Mainboard Generation. Whe I baught my Computer, 3rd Generation Intel Core i was the latest one, but I went for 2nd Generation, well Aware of the downside that this has no native USB3.0, but I also needed two legacy PCI Slots for my soundcards. Since that time the System is running fine.

I did the upgrade to Windows 10, but I’m an IT guy and I know what to do if something Fails and I can live with some down time of the play-out PC. So for the average Windows user I also would recommend to stay with Win7 or a bit better with Win8, even if you Need to get used to the full Screen start menu.

For Windows 10 you have to know all the Switches to toggle, to make it usable for a production Environment.

‘‘quote’’ For Windows 10 you have to know all the Switches to toggle, to make it usable for a production Environment.

My new pc has win 10 so i’m looking for a list with Switches to toggle.

Well, personally other than the usual stuff, in other words modifying Power Management settings so the system is “always on”, getting rid of the screen saver, as well as turning off ALL sounds and Sound Themes, you also need to stopped the automatic reboots, a pain in the unmentionables of Windows 10.

Luckily I recently found a solution via Stack Exchange that actually works, and has continued to work in recent updates.

Web Link: http://superuser.com/questions/957267/how-to-disable-automatic-reboots-in-windows-10
PDF Link (if web link vanishes): https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h8k4fhxs2cip1n/How%20to%20disable%20automatic%20reboots%20in%20Windows%2010.pdf?dl=0

This, as a Broadcast IT Engineer at 2 radio stations, is the primary reason I’ve avoided upgrading the stations to Windows 10.

Hope that helps!