Microphone Input?

I’ve had the mAirList Personal Software for a few days now. I’ve been spending time learning the ropes and getting used to all the functionality. The one thing I still can’t seem to find is how to link my microphone into the broadcast. The only thing I’ve found is hidden deep in the configuration program and only has me choose which input on my computer and not how to set it up or access it in the actual broadcasting program.

Can anyone help?

mAirList is designed to be used with a mixing console, so each player output is routed to a separate mixer channel, and you also connect you microphone to the console.

When you’re talking about “into the broadcast”, do you mean a Shoutcast server? The built-in encoder has a Live button (you need to add the Encoder screen object in the config to see it) that mixes the incoming signal from the soundcard into the stream sent to the encoder. That can either be the Line-In with the master signal from the mixing console, or the microphone input if you do not use a mixing console. However, there’s no way to change the player volume other than using the Fade buttons.

Remember to set the audio devices of the individual players to “Encoder” to route their signal to the encoder rather than to a specific sound card output.

I have gone into the configuration and made sure the proper input on the soundcard is the one I have my microphone plugged into. After that, how do I get it to recognize the mic? I haven’t found any sign that the software even knows that anything is plugged in.

mAirList cannot determine if anything is plugged into any specific input of your sound card. It will just list the available sound cards or sound card inputs (see below) as reported by Windows.

If you’re using Windows Vista or 7, each input of your sound card will appear separately in the selection drop down. If you’re using Windows 2000 or XP, you will only see a single entry for the whole sound card, and you have to open Windows Mixer, switch to Recording and select the appropriate input there.

I’ve done all of that. The program still has nothing I can do with what I’m sending through the microphone. Nothing comes back on playback and no menus are available to access the microphone.

Ok, let me be more specific about what I’m trying to do and what’s not happening.

I’m trying to broadcast my music and voice onto a server. I’ve got the mAirList Personal Full version with the license and everything. I’ve figured out all the proper procedures to input server information for the broadcast site. I know how to que up songs and fade and other things. What I can’t figure out how to do is to be able to speak on my microphone through the broadcast for when there isn’t music playing and I’m just talking with my listeners.

What am I missing on the functions of the program that is causing this issue?

May I assume that server is a Shoutcast server?

If so, do the following in the configuration:

• Go to “Modules -> Encoder” and set up the stream parameters as well as the sound cards for local playback and recording (that is, the microphone)

• Go to the “Audio Devices” page and set the output device of each player to “Encoder” which will route its signal to the encoder rather than to a sound card output only. (Of course, the master signal of the encoder can also be heard locally through the playback device you picked on the Encoder page.)

• Finally, go to the “GUI -> Other Screen Objects” page and add a new “Encoder Status” object to the list.

When you restart mAirList, there will be a couple of new controls above or below the browser (whatever you chose) that let you connect and disconnect the encoder, turn the live feed (= microphone) on and off, and see the current audio level.

Great, I’ll give that a shot

That worked perfectly, thank you very much.

You’re welcome. Let us know how you get along with it.

By the way, the upcoming v3.1 release will add the ability to connect to multiple encoders at the same time, and it will display the current number of listeners next to the Connect/Disconnect button.