mAirlistDB and mAirlist crashes several times an hour

Hi. I already made a topic in Dutch but till now no response. I can image that English will do better. I run a demo version, I want to buy a license but since yesterday loads of troubles. I was busy with DB program, putting music in the appropriate folder when the DB started to crash. Not once but every few songs. MAirlist itself crashes also. Not any response on the faders and cue switches (Airence), also not possible to start a song. Noting in Auto mode and that since yesterdays evening. What can I do? I’m not aware of changes in PC or NAS or whatever. Anybody?

Menno,

as we do not know anything about your setup, there is only guessing – which doesn’t help anyone in the process. But as there are thousands of users around who are fine, it shouldn’t be too much of a deal to fix it.

Thx for your response! I can only guess that you’re right. Problems started yesterday and I don’t know what triggered those.

What do you want to know about my setup? I will start with some information. W10 pc, brand new, i9, 16GB ram. Music files stored on Synology 1821+, connected to 1gbps LAN. D&R Airence mixer.

I downloaded and started exploring mAirlist about 3 weeks ago. No problems installing program and database. Since a week I’m able to generate playlists, playing in Auto and in Assist mode works great! Yesterday in the morning I setup a test stream. Works also great, sounds great. Happy user!

Yesterday I discovered that the automatic cue points when I filled the database were set on audio level -200dB which is of course a little low… To correct that, I selected all files in the database, folder by folder. (Next to the standard “unsorted folder” I added 6 or 7 more folders for various kinds of music to move music to from the unsorted one). I wasn’t sure how to restart that cue-point-process again. I tried this workaround: I selected all files in a folder bij pressing CTRL+A, right clicked and then selected “mass processing audio files” to generate new cue points at -45dB. It looks like that since then the trouble begun, but I can only guess that…

The DB program crashed almost every time I selected a music file and played it. Sometimes after 2 songs, sometimes after 10 but not much more… Tonight I discovered that not only the DB program but also mAirlist crashes. It was running in Auto mode when a song was faded out and player stopped playing. I had to restart the app, there was no response at all. When I browsed to the recent played song after restarting the app the app crashed again.

Tonight I played some songs in Assist mode. It went oké for about half an hour, then the cue function stopped working and starting songs by hand was not possible anymore.

Do you need more info?

I have chosen for mAirlist for the seamless integration with D&R mixers and for the great support. Ehhhh, I didn’t get any suggestions for fixing my problems so far… Am i to demanding?

Who can help me? Do I have to do a new installation? I hope so that my work what I did with the database was not for nothing! I have exported the database to a csv file. I hope that that is helpful.

And July the 4th (no joke) my demo period ends. I want to buy a home license but it would be great that it runs smoothly first.

Anybody, please…:pray:

I have replied in the dutch post you placed about this yesterday. Maybe having the conversation in dutch is easier for the start since there will be a lot of guessing by now like Tondose mentioned,

Thanks man! I just answered your questions in the Dutch topic!

With RuVo80 we tested a scenario with local audio files in stead of using files from the NAS. Unfortunately crashes en freezes continued for mAirlist and mAirlistDB as well… I slept on it one night and started reading the intructions on the wiki page again (thay wiki is a great platform by the way!). My attention is drawn by this quote “The setup is very easy because SQLite is built into mAirList, and you don’t have to worry about an SQL server installation. However SQLite will not work well over a network, so this type of installation is only recommended if you use mAirList on a single, standalone computer”. Does this mean that my config with mAirlist and mAirlistDB installed on a single PC and audio-files on a Synology NAS will not work? Is this causing the instability?

And if it is, why did it work very well for a few weeks and then suddenly became very unstable? Maybe I’m asking too many questions, but I like to know what’s behind…

EDIT: Or does mAirlist mean that the databasefile should be located on the same PC as where mAirlist (and mAirlistDB) is running on? In my situation C:\ProgramData\mAirList\7.x\database.mldb?

Problems often occure just when you have a database that is shared by two ore more mAirlist setups in a network.

AFAIK the SQLite is not capable of having more than one connection with writing / reading at a time. So two or more instances trying to write / read parallel will cause a temporary connection error for one installation.

But TBH the I/O just takes milliseconds and in my remote installation (one mAirlist in the studio connected to a remote Windows Server with another mAirlist instance and the database) I never had any problems…

Did you ever try a CLEAN install after backing up your settings and database?

The forum has some history with posts of users where “it worked very well for months/years” and it finally turned out that windows related changes / updates/ (unwanted) permission changes of folders caused their problems especially if they used their mAirlist workstations for other daily software too.

Thx for your response Stefan! I have only one mAirlist setup.

(I’m always struggeling with quotes in forums…)

I’m using the mAirlist PC not for installing and running other software, besides the basic office soft and wave editor Wavelab which I’ve installed more than a month ago. I was already looking for instructions for a re-install but couldn’t find info about it. Since I’m a newbee here (and with this kind of software) I’m scared to lose the load of work I did in the database. If you can send me some links… When I googled for “mAirlist re-install” very little results were found.

PS, I don’t know if this information is useful, but now I’m streaming (mAirlist already crashed one time) and I see a processor load of about 20%. That seems rediculous high in my opinion.

So that should be no problem.

If you only have one PC then, to make it easy, just store the database on the same PC.

It depends on your workstation. Streaming means to use codecs. If you’re runnig some soundprocessing too it can cause serious processor load.

A clean re-Install of mAirlist is really easy but for sure needs some preparation to not loose your settings and databases.

I’m still using Version 6.3 but I don’t think there’re much differences in the menus for now:

1. Terminate all mAirlist instances (mAirlist Playout-Window and the Database Application)
  2. Open the separate Configuration-App (NOT system configuration inside the mAirlist application!)
  3. I’m using the german version so you have to find the similar translations for you:
  • In the last row on the left side you’ll find something like “Extended”
  • The third subitem is something like “Backup/Restore”
  • that first’s option is “Save Configuration”
  • save it to a folder outside of your mAirlist-program folder or the ProgramData-Folder
  1. CAVE!!! This for now didn’t save your database, just the settings!!!
  • Select “Databases” in the left window of the config app
  • Double-click your desired database and find the path where your current DB is located in the “Connections”-Tab.
  • Make shure the DB isn’t located in either the mAirlist program folder nor the ProgramData-Folder . If it’s located in one of these copy it to another SAFE location.

When everything is saved close the configuration app.
Open the WINDOWS-Application’s control center panel and delete mAirlist.

Then

• delete the mAirlist program folder if there’re any leftovers.
  • delete the folder C:\ProgramData\mAirList\7.x to be sure there’s nothing left

Install mAirlist again from the most recent installer available here.

You might have to connect your license again when first starting the mAirlist configuration after the clean install.

So first open the Configuration-App and select “backup/restore” again to restore your previously saved configuration file. All your settings should be back now.

By importing the old configuration mAirlist should’ve imported the old database configuration settings too (—> where to find the database).

NOTE: If mAirlist could not find the database file now it will state an error. Don’t panic for now!

Solution: If your database previously was saved within the mAirlist-program folder or in the ProgramData-Folder you just have to connect it again with mAirlist (—> so mAirlist knows the last recent location of your saved file)

Just double tap the desired database like before and chose the right path after clicking “open existing database”.

Close the config app and start mAirlist. All your settings and the DB connection should be there.

That should work for a clean installation without loosing your settings.

Tell us if it worked for you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your instructions! Load of work! I understand the steps you suggest. Today I already sent a message to mAirlist for help, first want to know what they suggest, I hope to hear. Tomorrow my demo license ends so I’m not sure if I can make a fresh installation now. Of course I let you know the results of whatever scenario. Thanks again! I appreciate!

1 Like

You might write a mail to sales@mairlist.com - they can extend a trial license if you have good reasons for that…

If necessary I will do that! I have one question about your re-install suggestion. What does the word CAVE mean, bullet 4? And I know what a cave is… my studio is a mancave, haha

1 Like

It’s Latin and means "be aware of… or “attention, this is crucial” :sunglasses:

So it’s often used to point out that something is a very important part…

Ah, why don’t you say so! :sunglasses:

He did.    

1 Like