MAIRLIST SLOW

Hi

Not sure whether this is an mairlist thing or whether its my computer as its not the quickest thing in the world.

Basically, when using live assist, and im sure it is as bad in auto. When one file finished playing and you start the next playing, it is extremely slow to load the file in the player if it is lengthy i.e. a song.

The problem i have is that when playing a jingle thats 8 seconds long, the song on a few occassions wont actually be loaded before the end of the jingle.

So,

Any ideas on ways to up the speed at all? i am guessing this is something that is going to happen with the many advancements in mairlist?

I did try uping the priority to high but it didnt really seem to do anything!

Any way of changing something on the computer?

When the computer is on, all i need running is mairlist and also audacity for recording. Does anybody know if its possible to prevent background progs from running that wont upset the actual running of the computer??

Hope this is clear.

Cheers in advance

I would be VERY surprised if mAirList and Audacity are truly the only things running on your computer. For example …

• Is it ‘permanently’ connected to the Internet?

• Do you run anti-virus and/or anti-spyware (like Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc.) on your PC?

• Do you run any programs which update ‘automatically’ when a new version is available?

I would recommend that you download a program like Process Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx) to see where your CPU is going.

CAUTION: Do not ‘end task’ any process or program unless you are 100% certain that you know what that process is doing, and that you can stop it without any ill effects. Otherwise, you might ‘freeze’ your PC and in some cases make it impossible to reboot it properly: so if you don’t feel confident, ask your local ‘PC guru’ to check the findings from Process Explorer.

At least by running Process Explorer, you will see everything which is running, and where all your CPU time is truly going. :wink:

Incidentally, if you must run Audacity at the same time, run it minimized to reduce the strain on your video card.

And one final thought: if your OS is Windows ME, get rid of it and install either Win98SE or XP, because ME is a horribly unstable thing and is very easy to break.

If none of the above helps, could you please post details of:

• CPU type and speed in MHz
  • amount of system RAM (MB or GB)
  • video card make/model (or if motherboard, the chip set or driver name)
  • sound card make/model (or if motherboard, the chip set or driver name)

Those details will help us all figure out where your slowdown might be.

Hope this helps!

BFN
CAD

Hi.

Not at home at the moment so will post tech specs when i can.

What i can answer is a couple of your questions.

• Is it ‘permanently’ connected to the Internet?
    NO

• Do you run anti-virus and/or anti-spyware (like Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc.) on your PC?
    NO

• Do you run any programs which update ‘automatically’ when a new version is available?
    NO

run Audacity at the same time, run it minimized to reduce the strain on your video card.
I ALREADY DO AS I AM NOT DUAL SCREENING.

MY OS IS XP

another thought. i run all my audio from an external hard drive and it is plugged in via a external usb hub thingy. i also have my mouse and keyboard plugged into this. Would this cause any problems??

Also, What i have noticed is that it is the first time that i load a piece of audio that i get the problem. if i play an item and then pull it back from the recycle bin it is not a problem so can this help narrow the problem out.

Is there a way that when a piece of audio is loaded into the browser it is read and “understood” there so it loads instantly?
At work i use RadioMan and when you load a playlist in that it saves the data to its “Cache??” so if the database drops out then you are still able to continue with your show.
Would this be possible?
Would this stop the problem?

ANY OTHER IDEAS…

THANK YOU

Also, What i have noticed is that it is the first time that i load a piece of audio that i get the problem. if i play an item and then pull it back from the recycle bin it is not a problem so can this help narrow the problem out.

Have you enabled Auto Cue? If so, the cue points are only determined when the file is first imported into mAirList, i.e., by dragging it in from Explorer or a directory browser. From that point, mAirList keeps the cue information as long as the item stays somewhere inside the current program instance. Restoring an item from the recycle bin does not initiate the auto cue process again, because the cue points are still stored with the item in the recycle bin.

(Technically, the recycle bin uses a playlist object internally, so when an item is moved from the playlist into the recycle bin, it is essentially moved from one playlist into another, and when it is restored, it is moved back into the old playlist object.)

The USB thing sound suspicious. I’d try to put some files on the local hard disk, and see if things get better then.

Torben

The auto cue in, is that in the OPTION section of CONFIGURATION?

I dont if so, will try that.

You say it doesnt keep the cue points when dragging an item back from recycle bin, but if i do drag an item it does load instantly. no delay like a previously unplayed item.

Will have a few more plays.

You got me wrong. It does keep the cue points.

Auto Cue can be enabled on the Miscellaneous page in the config, on the Misc. tab. The thresholds can be adjusted on the PFL config page. (Yes, it’s a little confusing - but Auto Cue can also be triggered manually in the PFL dialog by holding shift when clicking SET.)

Ahh rite. i will try it out.

Is it not possible that when an item is added to the playlist that the “checks & loading” is done on it then, rather than when its loading if you get what i mean.

Or is that Auto-cue?

Well, that’s the way it is right now. Cue Points etc. are loaded when the item is added to the playlist. However the audio file isn’t openend in “ready to play” mode until actually loaded into a player.

Auto Cue is when mAirList scans each new file for the frame in which a certain dB value is hit. This does also take place when adding the file to the playlist. But you need to enable it separately in the config.

Can you please try to replace the BASS.DLL from the mAirList distribution with the latest one from www.un4seen.com?

FAB. Thanks for clearing that up.

Have changed Bass.

And now it’s all ok again?

knew you were gonna ask that.

Im on a different computer, although the mairlist is on my external hardrive. so i have got it set up on there but cant try to see if probs are resolved until i load on proper computer.

If that makes sense.

Any ideas by the way on the sound solution post??