Mair requires re-start to get play function working

Hi, we’re running 5.3 on a dell micro in a networked multi-user environment. Every few days we’ll have a user load their songs into Mair List (from the fileserver) but when they go to hit play nothing happens. The screen isn’t frozen, the play button depresses and Mair thinks it’s playing because when we go to close the program it says ‘one file is still playing…’ but there’s no activity in the play window, no countdown on the timer and no audio.

No error report is generated in the system log and there are no on screen error messages, but closing the program and re-opening clears the problem. At a guess I’d say 1 in 10 or even 20 users experience this problem when they logon, so it’s not a crisis I’m just stumped as to what could be causing it.

Thanks for reading
Alex

Generally, this happens when the sound card doesn’t accept/request any audio data from mAirList/BASS anymore. Player appears to be playing, but no data flows.

Do they log on via Remote Desktop? If so, they must absolutely make sure that they disable audio device redirection in the RDP settings. Otherwise mAirList will try to play into the “Remote Audio” device which suddenly disappears when the user disconnects.

Can also happen with USB audio interfaces when the USB connection is unstable, or Windows puts it into power saving mode.

Hi Torben, thanks very much for your reply you provide great support on this forum it’s appreciated.

Our broadcasters log in locally with a domain user account, so each studio has a dell optiplex running MairList 5.3

When we do have to remote in to the overnight machines we’re careful not to pull audio to the computer we’re working on, we’ve learnt from our mistakes there.

We’re running Livewire through virtual Axia IPaudio soundcards, and I did have the audio routed through a usb adaptor and thought this might be causing the issue. I’ve now bypassed that adaptor, audio runs straight in the network port and I think this helped there’s less errors, but it’s still happened a couple of times in the last week, so rare but still occurring.

Good to know you think it might be a sound card issue though, I’ll investigate that further.

Thanks a lot for your help

Alex