Known Issue: Several Avid Community Forum members and Beta testers have reported an issue where after 3 hours of continuous streaming, audio output will not function when an application such as Windows Media player is paused, stopped or closed. We have been unable to reproduce this issue internally. The known workaround is to restart Windows Audio Service. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and select the Processes Tab. Right-click Audiosrv and choose stop. Then right-click it again and choose to start the service.
OK, thank you - I’ll switch to ASIO and see if it works.
Are there any sound cards which are recommended for mAirList and Windows 7?
We use the Delta 1010 because it has eight analogue outputs (i.e. four stereo pairs for three players and the cart wall). I saw some USB sound cards, but couldn’t find anything similar to the Delta 1010 yet?
Just looking online at some alternative sound card options. I’ve used a Behringer UCA202 before with a laptop - but wondered whether something like this would be suitable and if mAirList will be able to see the different outputs?
I use the Delta 1010LT in Win 7 64 bit and haven’t experienced that issue. I use WASAPI option primarily. However this unit doesn’t tend to run for hours but I have sometimes run the station on it for 8 hrs while I do repairs on the main server and not seen that issue. I would try ASIO and WASAPI.
Thanks - that’s interesting. We’ve been using ASIO now for about 24 hours and the problem just occurred - the player loaded and item in a ‘playing’ state, but no audio and the timer is stuck. Clicked stop on that player, and start on another which is fine. Once mAirList is restarted all the players are available again.
The PC and soundcard are on-air 24/7 and the issue seems to be with long, continuous periods. So playout has stopped during overnight automation for a few days in a row.
By the way I would not replace M-Audio with Behringer! Never ever.[/quote]
Thanks. Something which seems similar to the Behringer unit is this one - a Focusrite 18i20. I found a nearby shop with a demo unit on display… might take a laptop and see what it’s like.
It’s a shame because the M-Audio unit is nice and lasted us well. I did see a batch script that can be used to restart the Windows sound service which apparently fixes the issue (until it occurs again). I suppose this could be scheduled to run at certain times whether it needs it or not, but it feels like a sticking plaster.
[quote=“Jimradio, post:8, topic:9045”]Thanks - that’s interesting. We’ve been using ASIO now for about 24 hours and the problem just occurred - the player loaded and item in a ‘playing’ state, but no audio and the timer is stuck. Clicked stop on that player, and start on another which is fine. Once mAirList is restarted all the players are available again.
The PC and soundcard are on-air 24/7 and the issue seems to be with long, continuous periods. So playout has stopped during overnight automation for a few days in a row.[/quote]
Out of curiosity when this happens, does anything get logged to either the mAirlist logging or the Windows Event Viewer.
I think it’s a shame they have stopped making these cards and updating drivers tho’.
In the mAirList log there is nothing other than the normal entries for logging to the website, etc. The item that doesn’t play does get logged as if it started. All ‘Start’ events are logged to a Postgres database and the item that doesn’t play still gets logged.
There’s no entries at all in the Windows event log around the time that play out stops. This also seems to be the case for users on the M-Audio forum.
I think I’ve tried all the possible settings and drivers now and the problem persists a few times a day, so have switched to a USB interface to see how that works.
The interesting thing is that the playout only stops when a new item starts. There is a playlist with three players all using the same outputs on the M-Audio card - but the audio only stops when one song finishes and the next is loaded in auto. It hasn’t stopped yet during an item.
Yes - that’s the driver I had been using. I also tried going back to 188.8.131.5274 from 2009 but it seemed to have the same issue.
The USB interface has been going for 36 hours now and playout hasn’t stopped.
As the Delta soundcard isn’t on air now there’s a more time to test (and less pressure!) - I will have another look at the drivers and config and leave it running. We only have one mAirList instance but the problem seems to occur with iTunes or Firefox for other users, so I may try that and report back.
I’m a fan of M-Audio, and currently use a number of Delta 44’s in various live FM studios for years now. Never experienced an issue with them. Well other than a 9 year old omni box pro burning out a month or so back, which has since been fixed and now back in use.
I must admit I do like the Focusrite stuff, but at such an early stage in my own project, I’m keeping the outlay down, to get the station started. 4 ins and outs is enough for me currently