List Index Out Of Bounds when loading playlist as event...

Hey Torben,

I’m having an intermittent problem when a playlist is loaded as an event.

Our News is pulled in via satellite through the PC soundcard. I have an event configured to insert and play the playlist just before the hour. The playlist contains just one file, which is made up of a intro jingle, bed and outro jingle, with the idea being that the news plays over the bed. There are also two events attached to the file - one to open the soundcard channel at the start and one to mute it at the end.

This all works fine normally, but now and again the playlist doesn’t load and we get a list index out of bounds error.

I’m on version 3.11 and it’s still happening. Any thoughts?

Does the error appear in a dialog box with a “Details” button in it? If so, click that button, and in the detailed error dialog, use the appropriate button to send a bug report. That will help me to track the error down (in particular if its an intermittent issue).

I’m afraid it doesn’t. It just skips the event completely and moves to the next playlist item. The error just appears on the mAirList log.

I wish I could offer you more information.

Oh, it’s in the system log. I see.

Can you please post the exact error address that is mentioned along with the error message? Also your exact version and build number.

The error message can be copied into the clipboard as text using Ctrl+C in the system log viewer (double-click the main window status bar to open the viewer).

06/08/2010 12:59:50 Error Error executing action Insert and play playlist (D:\BLAST\CONFIG\NEWS\NEWS.mlp): List index out of bounds (-1)

Version 3.1.1 764

Hope this helps.

Darren

Darren: Probably silly questions, but we DO need to ask!

Your problem is intermittent, so how many items does the NEWS.MLP file contain?
Do the contents of that playlist ever change? Are there ever a different number of items?

Do all the files in the NEWS.MLP playlist exist in the locations specified? Do they ever ‘move’ or otherwise change?

Do any of the items in the NEWS.MLP playlist have any Actions on Start or Stop specified?

Do you have a single Event which loads the MLP, or more than one Event? If the latter, are ALL Events IDENTICAL?
What Options have you set up for the Event? At what time(s) does it happen?

Thanks in advance.

BFN
CAD

[quote=“Cad, post:6, topic:6885”]Darren: Probably silly questions, but we DO need to ask!

Your problem is intermittent, so how many items does the NEWS.MLP file contain?
Do the contents of that playlist ever change? Are there ever a different number of items?

Do all the files in the NEWS.MLP playlist exist in the locations specified? Do they ever ‘move’ or otherwise change?

Do any of the items in the NEWS.MLP playlist have any Actions on Start or Stop specified?

Do you have a single Event which loads the MLP, or more than one Event? If the latter, are ALL Events IDENTICAL?
What Options have you set up for the Event? At what time(s) does it happen?

Thanks in advance.

BFN
CAD[/quote]

Cheers Cad… I think I answered most of this in my initial post… There’s only one playlist item (an mp3). There are events on both start and stop which open and close the soundcard at the start and end of the file.

There’s only one event - it never changes - nor does the location of the news playlist or mp3.

Hope this helps!

Darren

Hm. Looks like some parameter inside the event or action is wrong.

Could you please post the contents of the even file here? (Simply copy the event to the clipboard with Strg+C, and paste the contents here - you should see an XML block starting with .)

[quote=“Torben, post:8, topic:6885”]copy the event to the clipboard with Strg+C[/quote]>cough< You mean Ctrl+C. Though I personally prefer Ctrl+Insert. :smiley:

And Darren: note that you need to open the associated .mle file in an XML editor or a text editor (Notepad is fine, but make sure Format, Word Wrap is turned off) to copy and paste what we need to see here.

Please paste everything between the opening and closing and tags, including those tags themselves. Thanks!

BFN
CAD

Oops, sorry. Stuck in the German keyboard layout.

By the way, the Ctrl-Insert doesn’t work any longer. Someone said Ctrl-C/V/X was even more standard. That wasn’t you, was it?

No. Ctrl+C/V/X was the original Windows standard; Ctrl+Insert, Ctrl+Delete, and Shift+Insert became ‘de facto’ standards sometime during the 1980s/1990s. Usually, they will work: in 90+% of applications, even if the applications only publicise the Ctrl+C/V/X keystrokes and not the alternatives. They work in odd places, too, places like the ‘non-editable’ Location field in the File Properties dialogs in Explorer. :slight_smile:

BFN
CAD

http://forum.mairlist.com/index.php/topic,4406.0.html

…or forever hold your peace.

So … that wasn’t me?

And … obligatory Wikipedia quote:
CUA (for OS/2) also uses combinations of the Insert, Del, Shift and Control keys. Early versions of Windows used the IBM standard. Microsoft later adopted the Apple style key-combinations with the introduction of Windows, chosing the control key as their modifier key which had previously been reserved for sending control characters.
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut,_copy,_and_paste)

So in Windows at least, it seems that Ctrl+Insert (et al) were first, and Ctrl+C (et al) came afterwards. Although the article doesn’t say so, I believe—possibly incorrectly?—it was Windows 3.0 which introduced Ctrl+C/V/X, and Ctrl+Insert (et al) were 're-'introduced later. :smiley:

BFN
CAD

Here’s the playlist file:

<Playlist> <PlaylistItem Class="File"> <Title>NEWSBED</Title> <Duration>1370906066</Duration> <Attributes> <Item> <Name>Genre</Name> <Value>Other</Value> </Item> </Attributes> <StartActions> <Action Class="UnmuteMixer"> <Device>0</Device> <Destination>0</Destination> <Source>8</Source> </Action> </StartActions> <StopActions> <Action Class="MuteMixer"> <Device>0</Device> <Destination>0</Destination> <Source>8</Source> </Action> </StopActions> <CueData> <CueDataItem Position="221428" Class="Marker" Type="CueIn" /> <CueDataItem Position="1332975006" Class="Marker" Type="FadeOut" /> <CueDataItem Position="1366461181" Class="Marker" Type="CueOut" /> </CueData> <Filename>D:\BLAST\CONFIG\NEWS\NEWSBED.mp3</Filename> </PlaylistItem> </Playlist>

This is the event file:

<Event> <Description>NEWS</Description> <Month>1-12</Month> <Day>1-31</Day> <Weekday>1-7</Weekday> <Hour>4-18</Hour> <Minute>59</Minute> <Second>50</Second> <RunInAutomation /> <RunInAssist /> <LastExecution>06/08/2010 14:59:50</LastExecution> <ActionList> <Action Class="AutomationOn" /> <Action Class="InsertAndPlayPlaylist"> <Filename>D:\BLAST\CONFIG\NEWS\NEWS.mlp</Filename> </Action> <Action Class="AutomationPlay" /> </ActionList> </Event>

Cheers!

Thank you. No obvious problems in the files. It’s time for plan B.

Here’s a debug snapshot to try: http://www.mairlist.com/download/mAirList/v3.1/debug/

Unlike the regular mAirList.exe, which avoids displaying any dialogs that require user interaction when running in an unattended environment, this debug version will display the error message with the “Details” button I was talking about above. Please use the “send bug report” feature, and I’ll be able to track down the issue quickly.

Bug report attached!

bugreport.txt (34.8 KB)

Thanks. I have updated the debug snapshot, can you please try it?

http://www.mairlist.com/download/mAirList/v3.1/debug/

If it still doesn’t work, please send another bug report using the built-in tool. Please note that when you post the bugreport.txt file here (which is perfectly ok), your name and e-mail address will be visible to other users, because it’s noted in the bug report. You can edit the txt file and remove the information before posting it here if you don’t want your details to be exposed.