Input level

Hey

I always had mairlist on peak level the mixer had an insert on the main channel and there was a single band compressor.
On the led meter was everything equal.
But now I bought a D&R airence with no Inserts on the main and I see more variation on the led meters.

If read a lot about the R128 normalisation but you should not use compression.
There is on my side a mic compressor.
But I send i through a private stream to the station and the use soundprocessing.
So how can i set my input level that everything is about same level.

Hey Henk,

from my personal point of view, peak normalisation is an oldfashioned way.

• Peak normalisation: Highest Peak (dBfs or dBTP) is set to the defined level, but loudness differences are possible.
  • Loudness normalisation: The average loudness of each track is calculated and played out correctly. Some tracks may have higher dynamics than others but this should not have a bad influence on the listening experience.

Well, in this case there’s nothing you can do about it. Depending on how intensive this soundprocessing is processing your signal, the question is what do they expect in order the soundprocessor has not much to do.

This means: When you have a good normalisation on your complete signal, it makes no sense to destroy it by a compression on top. The clean signal won’t be “clearer” with that.

That’s not the problem. Voice is, normally, a very dynamic signal. As long as the signal meets R 128 requirements, everything is fine.

Ha, Allen&Heath, right?
Well, I love this main channel insert (had a ZED-14 before). However, a single band compressor is not the best solution (in extreme situations the signal may become a kind of “pumping”).
With R 128 this is no longer needed.