External Sound Card

I am running my station on 1 Play Out PC using mAirList 4.3.9 build 1877 and Breakaway Live for processing, based on internal sound card. OS = Windows 7 64-bit. Works like a charm.

I am considering buying an external USB sound card for better quality and PFL e.g. http://www.thomann.de/nl/esi_gigaport_hd_2.htm . Using a vintage broadcast mixer D&R Aircom. Want to connect player A to a stereo fader and player B to another stereo fader. This is only for Assist, mixer is not used during Automation.

Can someone simple explain to me which cables I need and how to connect? Or a better advice :wink:

Hi Adriaan,
you just hook up each pair of the sound card (rear RCA jacks) to your mixer.
With the Gigaport HD you got 4 stereo pairs. So you can use 2 additional channels for Cartwall and extra PFL for example.

In the mAirList Config you set each of the Sound card ports to the related player.
Make sure you set only 1 Player to be used in automation mode, and make sure this fader is open as soon as you enable Automation mode.

Don’t you have a multi channel sound card in your PC? Mine is a 7.1 onboard. Most onboard devcies are Realtek, that are kind of tricky to setup, but mine works with 4 stereo out, plus one Mackie USB Sound card, as the 5th Stereo.

That’s it.
Cheers
Malte

Hi Shorty,

Thanks for your clear answer, appreciate it!

I have Integrated High Definition audio with Realtek ALC261 codec in my PC which is Small Form Factor. That’s why I am aimimg an USB external audio interface. In your setup, the master of the mixer goes (via PC) back to mAirList ShoutCast encoder? This means my mixer must be always on, also during automation?

Yes, mixer must be always on.
I think there were some scripts that were able to handle your needs, to bypass the mixer on Automation. I can’t remember where, maybe Torben can help to find it.

Just out of curiosity - why do you use only one player during automation? Can’t just the players keep rotating as usual?

When you use a mixing console, it’s more convenient to have everything on the same channel (fader) - no need to open the other fader after turning on automation. Less error-prone.