Error when loading notification scripts

Hi,

I wanted to play around with scripts in mAirlist 3.0.13 (community edition), and either I encountered a bug, either I’m just doing something wrong…
Whenever I add a notification script, be it from the scripts included, or from one I read about here, I get the error when mAirlist starts:
Factory: List index out of bounds.
Then: Range check error
Then: only the menu is loaded, there is no player, no cartwall, no nothing, and when I click on various menus, I get: “Access violation at address blablabla”

Here is an example of a notification script causing the failure;

[code]procedure OnPlayerStart(PlaylistIndex: integer; PlayerIndex: integer);
var
item: IPlaylistItem;
var sl: TStringList;

begin
item := Playlist(PlaylistIndex).GetPlayer(PlayerIndex).GetItem;

sl := TStringList.Create;
sl.Add(Item.GetArtistsString + ’ - ’ + Item.GetTitle);
sl.SaveToFile(‘C:\currentsong.txt’);
sl.Free;
end;

begin
end.[/code]

Any help would be appreciated, I’m really new to mairlist, so please do point me at any documentation I should have read at this point…

Cheers,
Gilou

Scripting is not included in the Community Edition. The first error you see (list index out of bounds) basically means that the scripting enigne could not be found when mAirList tries to load the script. Obviously, the error isn’t handled correctly, so it causes the rest of the application to crash.

The upcoming release mAirList 3.1 will handle this situation much better, in fact, it won’t even display the “Scripting” configuration page in the Community Edition.

Oh, and by the way: Looking at your web site, I think you should check very carefully if you are allowed to use the Community Edition anway.

This was for testing (and personnal) purposes only, obviously, so basically, we need to go for the pro version to test the scripts?

As for the licensing, well, we’ll first see how this version will suit our needs before thinking about it, and by the way, we are a non-profit :slight_smile:

The Community Edition is not meant as a free demo version but as a free full version, but only for non-profit individuals. As an association with multiple people involved, you are not an individual (individual means single person). The same restriction applies for the Personal Edition which is also only available for single individuals broadcasting for fun from their home.

If you want to test-drive mAirList as an organization, there are two options:

• A 30-minute Demo version of the Pro Edition is available for direct download with no registration needed: http://www.mairlist.com/en/pro/download.php

• When you register at the customer area on the web site, you can also request a 14-day unlimited trial version (go to the “My Licenses” page after login).

I do offer discounts for non-profit organizations, please contact be my e-mail for a quote.

I read all that, and took notice. I’ll play on the 30 minutes demo to see where to go, and I’ll make sure to contact you when needed.

I’m really exploring this on my own, I’m far from involving all my association by doing research, we are not a company: I do this on my free time, to see what I can do… If you’re worried because I put a link that feels more on-topic than my private information on my profile, I can just pull it off, don’t lose time into fighting those who aren’t your enemies… That’s bad PR, and makes users feel guilty when they are only taking a look at your work, that you are nice enough to make available for prospective users to see.

Now that the licensing terms are clear… Let us see what happens next :wink:

Don’t worry, I’m not trying to fight you :slight_smile: The point is, mAirList has many features only found in professional software that costs €10,000 and more, so from the point of view of a professional user, €600 is very cheap - the software is probably even “worth” more, that is, I could ask for an even higher price from the professional users, and it would still be a good deal for them.

On the other hand, I want to give the personal (home) users the opportunity to use a first-class automation software, but someone who does radio for fun from his home can usually not afford €600 for an automation software. That’s why I created the very cheap discounted Personal Edition (and the free Community Edition). The feature set is very much the same (except for the networked database and some minor differences), because there are hardly any “professional only” features. In other words, I cannot take away any features from the Personal Edition in order to make it useless for the pro users, because it would make the software useless for many personal users as well.

That’s why the the difference between the Personal and Pro edition is merely a legal one, and I have to keep an eye on who is using it, because several people have tried to abuse this licensing concept and fool me in the past (buying a Personal license using their private address and then using it in their company etc.). This is a major thread to the whole concept, because when too many people (or companies) do so, and I lose a lot of money that way, I might have to stop offering the discounted home user licenses altogether, as a last resort to save me any my family, so to say. So if you feel that I’m very strict about who is using the Personal and Community editions, this is because I have to protect the licensing scheme and the future of this software.

Non-profit organizations are somewhere in between the Home and Pro user groups. Legally, they count as Pro (because they are no “individuals”) - but I encourage every such organization to get in touch with me and check if they can get a better price that they can afford. Most of the time they can.

In principle, I’m just trying to be fair to everyone, and I also expect everyone to play fair with me.