Envelopes, Mixdown & MP3Gain settings...

Not sure if this is a bug, configuration issue or just one of those things…

I have all my MP3 tracks set with 91.5dB on MP3Gain, and this works well on playout, but if I mixdown using the mAirlist mixdown, to either a WAV or MP3 file, it appears that the MP3Gain setting in the MP3 file is being ignored and so some tracks revert to their original high (-1 to -3 dBfs etc). I can see this when I load the mixdown file in Audition etc, whereas if I record the output of the mixer and play the playlist in Auto, it all balances fairly well (give or take).

This is build 665 (I haven’t updated yet).

[quote=“streamer, post:1, topic:6483”]Not sure if this is a bug, configuration issue or just one of those things…

I have all my MP3 tracks set with 91.5dB on MP3Gain, and this works well on playout, but if I mixdown using the mAirlist mixdown, to either a WAV or MP3 file, it appears that the MP3Gain setting in the MP3 file is being ignored and so some tracks revert to their original high (-1 to -3 dBfs etc). I can see this when I load the mixdown file in Audition etc, whereas if I record the output of the mixer and play the playlist in Auto, it all balances fairly well (give or take).

This is build 665 (I haven’t updated yet).[/quote]

Umm, the plot thickens. In testing, some do and some don’t, yet MP3Gain shows all at 91.5. Wonder if I have some MP3Gain or MP3 Tag version issues!.

The problem might be related to the MP3 ACM codec you have installed on your system. I’m shipping the “mp3-free” bass.dll that does not have its own MP3 decoder but uses the ACM codec, for licensing/patent reasons (saves me $15,000 a year). Can you find out (through some DirectX tools like GraphEdit.exe or so) which codec is installed on your system, and whether it supports the gain settings from mp3gain?

You could also try to download the original bass.dll from www.un4seen.com and compare the results.

Generally, the playback output and the mixdown output should show the same result, as the gain settings are handled on decoder level.

[quote=“Torben, post:3, topic:6483”]The problem might be related to the MP3 ACM codec you have installed on your system. I’m shipping the “mp3-free” bass.dll that does not have its own MP3 decoder but uses the ACM codec, for licensing/patent reasons (saves me $15,000 a year). Can you find out (through some DirectX tools like GraphEdit.exe or so) which codec is installed on your system, and whether it supports the gain settings from mp3gain?

You could also try to download the original bass.dll from www.un4seen.com and compare the results.

Generally, the playback output and the mixdown output should show the same result, as the gain settings are handled on decoder level.[/quote]

Will do, I won’t get time for a week or so as we’re “finally” heading across the pond in a few hours.

Basically I tried two files, loaded them as singles files into Audition so I can see the waveforms. Then I applied various Mp3Gain settings and then had the two tracks in a playlist, mixdown and kept loading the result in audition and the song waveforms were identical(levels). I then ran out of time when a shovel was put in my hand and sent outside!

Happy Christmas all.

If it helps, and assuming you are using MP3Gain and not MP3GainPRO to write the information, the info. is by default stored in APEv2 tags.

There is an ‘Options, Tags, Ignore’ option in MP3Gain to Not use tags to store the info., but you then lose the ‘undo’ ability unless you manually undo the changes you make (you’d need to keep track-by-track notes).

BFN
CAD

Well, I fiddled around a lot more and discovered it was down to a few “rogue” files. No Rhyme nor reason but no matter what MP3Gain setting I used, it was ignored. In experimenting, I blew away the tags, MP3 id3v1, id3v2 and APE and re-tagged. Then I re-MP3Gained and voila, it worked.

So, the only conclusion is somehow the APE tags had some form of corruption somewhere or maybe unicode or whatever. Anyway, it did the trick. Another happy bunny in the New Year. :slight_smile:

I suppose BASS (or the Windows MP3 codec, in case you use the mp3-free BASS shipped with mAirList) can only handle the case where the gain information is stored in the frame headers, but not the one using the APE tags.

Good point, I had forgotten that the APE tag was just for reference, but it does write the gain to the frame headers. The APE tag allows a recovery etc. Umm, unless by clearing all the stuff MP3Gain rewrote it correctly. Well, whatever I did (numerous times) seems to have cleared it. I left it running through 4,000 files this afternoon and the ones I had identified as troublesome (the ones that I had found so far) worked properly afterwards.