eldoDB cannot connect to MySQL server?

Hi,

I’m a complete novice when it comes to databases, so I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but maybe you can help me. I’ve installed eldoDB on my computer. I’ve also installed MySQL Server 5.1. It took me a while, but I have now a root account, a normal account and the server has been started.

In the eldoDB.ini file I entered:

[General] BaseDir=C:\Limewire Shared\ [Database] Driver=mysql Host=localhost User=rojan Password=***** Database=rojanuk [Excludes] Item0=neu\

(And obviously in the actual .ini the password is written full; I’ve blanked it for pasting here)

However, when starting Musikliste.exe I’m getting an error message:

SQL Error: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

Does anybody have a clue why this is happening? What am I missing?

Thanks. :wink:

Probably, the server is not configured to accept TCP/IP network connections. Even if running on the same machine, mAirList and Musikliste still use TCP/IP to connect to the server. It’s usually achieved by commenting out the “bind_address” option in the MySQL configuration file. There might also be an option for this in the configuration GUI of your MySQL distribution, in case there is one (it’s been a long time since I last used MySQL on Windows).

You also have to set the password manually with OLD_PASSWORD, because mAirList still uses the 3.23 version of the DLL. It’s explained in the MySQL documentation.

[quote=“Torben, post:2, topic:5208”]Probably, the server is not configured to accept TCP/IP network connections. Even if running on the same machine, mAirList and Musikliste still use TCP/IP to connect to the server. It’s usually achieved by commenting out the “bind_address” option in the MySQL configuration file. There might also be an option for this in the configuration GUI of your MySQL distribution, in case there is one (it’s been a long time since I last used MySQL on Windows).

You also have to set the password manually with OLD_PASSWORD, because mAirList still uses the 3.23 version of the DLL. It’s explained in the MySQL documentation.[/quote]

Well, I have gotten a bit further. I’ve managed to get the MySQL server working and I’ve managed to create a user account, with all privileges, which I thought I’d already done, but clearly it hadn’t registered in the user file. So, that’s all up an running. Now I’m getting a new error:

SQL Error: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Also, in reply to what you said Torben, The is no “bind_address” option in the MySQL config file under Windows. I’ve checked and checked again. And also, I don’t seem to have a configuration GUI apart from the initial setup config.

I’ve started the server with the --old-passwords tag and I’ve also changed the password for the user account to OLD_PASSWORD as well. Above error is now gone, but a new one takes it’s place:

SQL Error: Table 'mysql.rotations' doesn't exist.

This error, or even just the term ‘mysql.rotations’ is not mentioned anywhere in the manual or anywhere on the Internet (Google). Surely I’m not the only one ever to get this error?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :wink:

“rotations” is the name of a table in the eldoDB database schema. “mysql.rotations” means that the software is looking for that table inside the database named “mysql”, which is certainly wrong, because the “mysql” database is only meant for internal purposes. According to your config above, your intended database name is “rojanuk”. Did you create that database, and did you install the schema from the eldoDB.sql file into that database?

Yes, I did create that database, but I have no idea how to install the schema from the eldoDB.sql file into that database, so clearly that must be the problem. Could you tell me how to do that please?

And again, your help really is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :wink:

Basically, you just need to execute the SQL commands found in the eldoDB.sql file. The easiest way would be on the command line using mysql.exe:

/path/to/mysql.exe databasename <eldoDB.sql

You can also use any graphical frontend which allows you to execute SQL commands.

[quote=“Torben, post:6, topic:5208”]Basically, you just need to execute the SQL commands found in the eldoDB.sql file. The easiest way would be on the command line using mysql.exe:

/path/to/mysql.exe databasename <eldoDB.sql

You can also use any graphical frontend which allows you to execute SQL commands.[/quote]

Yes, that did it. I have no more error messages. Thanks for that. :smiley:

Now I’m confronted with another slight problem. Obviously I’ve set the base directory in the eldoDB.ini file, but now it can only import data from that directory (and it’s sub directories), but I have songs on several different locations. Is there a way to set that up?

Also, and I think that this is because eldoDB is in German and my German is very weak indeed, I can’t find where to change the name of a rotation. Currently it’s set to ‘Nicht zugewiesen’. How can I change that?

Thanks again! You’re a hero! :wink:

I have filled the database using Musikliste.exe. Then I started mAirlist and clicked on Database Browser and then I get the following error message:

Access violation at address 0193501A in module 'libmysql.dll'. Read of address 00000007

But obviously I’m using mysql-3.23 as driver, which - I thought - corresponded to the file ‘libmysql323.dll’. Does anybody have any idea why this might be?

Also, my question about multiple base dirs still stands. I haven’t found a workaround for this yet.

Thanks! :wink:

Can you please confirm that the file libmysql323.dll has been copied to your mAirList folder?

As far as as I remember, the database components I use first look for “libmysql323.dll” and then for “libmysql.dll” and use any of these found either in the current directory or somewhere in the search path.

[quote=“Torben, post:9, topic:5208”]Can you please confirm that the file libmysql323.dll has been copied to your mAirList folder?

As far as as I remember, the database components I use first look for “libmysql323.dll” and then for “libmysql.dll” and use any of these found either in the current directory or somewhere in the search path.[/quote]

Ah, always the obvious solution that you can’t see. I hadn’t copied it into the mAirlist folder (only in the eldoDB folder). Putting it into mAirlist did the trick. It works now. Thank you very much for your help.

Leaves me with the basedir problem. Do you have any thoughts on this?

The BaseDir problem? Seems like I missed some point in this thread :wink:

Yeah, I hid it really well. :smiley:

As basedir you can only list one directory (or directory tree). My files are on several different locations. I was wondering whether there was a way to incorporate all these locations (directories, external HD’s, etc.) into the database.

Thanks! :wink:

No, it’s not possible. But I’m sure Cad will know how to use SUBST or so to virtually merge the locations into a single folder :wink:

The upcoming mAirListDB will however support multiple directories.

Unfortunately, Torben and Rojan: no I don’t. The subst command (and map for that matter) both create virtual drives, which isn’t really what’s needed here. I’m presuming that adding a shortcut to each of the ‘other’ drives/directories, and putting all those shortcuts into Rojan’s ‘main’ music directory, wouldn’t help either?

Rojan: if you have Vista OS, I found an interesting thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984922, which explains how to use junction points. These are new with Vista: they don’t exist in previous MS OSs. If you have XP, all I can suggest is installing a VM of some sort and ‘copying’ your real drives to subdierctories of a virtual drive within the VM (and then running eldoDB and mAirList WITHIN the Virtual PC with your ‘fake’ drive containing all your scattered directories.

Not for the faint-hearted, though. :wink: Might be easier to bite the bullet and move all your audio to a single (real!) drive?

BFN
CAD

[quote=“Cad, post:14, topic:5208”]Unfortunately, Torben and Rojan: no I don’t. The subst command (and map for that matter) both create virtual drives, which isn’t really what’s needed here. I’m presuming that adding a shortcut to each of the ‘other’ drives/directories, and putting all those shortcuts into Rojan’s ‘main’ music directory, wouldn’t help either?

Rojan: if you have Vista OS, I found an interesting thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984922, which explains how to use junction points. These are new with Vista: they don’t exist in previous MS OSs. If you have XP, all I can suggest is installing a VM of some sort and ‘copying’ your real drives to subdierctories of a virtual drive within the VM (and then running eldoDB and mAirList WITHIN the Virtual PC with your ‘fake’ drive containing all your scattered directories.

Not for the faint-hearted, though. :wink: Might be easier to bite the bullet and move all your audio to a single (real!) drive?

BFN
CAD[/quote]

Thanks for your reply anyway, Cad. I’m running XP - Wouldn’t dream of running playout software on Vista. But biting the bullet and move all my audio to a single (Real!) drive? They are all on a real drive. Yes, there is a secondary external HD (G:) involved, but even on the same computer as mAirlist is installed, there are directories scattered all over the C:\ drive. I have considered moving everything in one place, for example all audio on the external HD (I’ve already tested the database with a basedir of G:\ and that works fine) but the drive is not big enough to hold all the MP3’s.

So in this case, I’m afraid, biting the bullet will be buying another, much bigger, external HD for storage of the MP3’s, which of course will cost money that I don’t have. I’m definately going to have to give this some more thought. But thanks again for your reply. I appreciate it. :wink:

Obviously I don’t know your budget nor your total storage requirements for audio, but check the prices at your local computer shop, PC World, and Maplin. You can get >100GB external drives for £80 or so.

Good luck, anway; and sorry I couldn’t be more help. :frowning:

BFN
CAD

Yeah, I know. I’ve got one here of 160GB, but that’s just not big enough, which is why there are directories with files on my C:\ drive as well. Currently the database is build up with G:\ (the external HD), but the overflow files on my C:\ drive are not in de DB. Those directories I’ve just added manually to mAirlist with ‘add directory tree’. This works fine, but there is no search function for that. Which is a problem to me.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Cad. :wink:

–=RojanUK=–

You could use an On-The-Fly database.

I started one once and it took so long to build that I gave up. So I don’t actually know whether there is a search function in a build OTF DB. If there is one, then it’s definately worth considering switching the building of the DB on before I go to bed and just let it do it’s stuff while I’m asleep.

Hi RojanUk, yes the On-The-Fly databases will have a search function. From your problem about the build time, it will depend on how much audio you are trying to add to the database. If a lot, build several smaller databases with each database pointing to a different folder.

You will then be able to search each individual On-The-Fly database or all together.

hth.

Kind Regards Tony