DIY Fader Start - Game Port

Does anyone have the wiring diagram as seen on the first post as the link is now broken/inactive?

Thanks.

Sure…

It’s back, I must have renamed the file ::slight_smile:

I had to knock another of these up last week in a hurry - only had 2k2 resistors available, they worked fine on a Windows XP SP2 system.

Are they the only pins that need to be connected? Such as different polarities, grounding etc? And what does the common pin do?

Excuse all the questions! Thanks, Ryan.

Yep, they’re the only ones you’ll need to solder to. You can mount the resistors (use 1/8 or 1/4 watt ones, CPC, Maplin or RS sell them) inside the plastic shell and then wire your console remotes straight to it. “Common” is ground - so shorting Cart1,2,3 or 4 to Common will trigger Buttons 1,2,3 or 4 at the joystick port… Substitute Cartx for Buttonx as I drew this diagram for the BCX playout software ;D Obviously with mAirList, you can map the 4 buttons to any action you like (Player x Start/Stop is mine).

The parts for this cost under £5, and if you have a Maplin near you - that’s the place get them from.

Edit: I’ve made a new diagram:

Later on I’ll post a diagram for the “opposite” version of this interface: The opto-coupled serial port switcher… This features a latching relay that can A/B switch 2 stereo sources when the DTR line goes high, or, be used to trigger an RDS unit’s TA flag during a travel bulletin.

@ Charly Davy: a year ago I tested it. With the 47K resistors it didn’t work. I shortened the resistors and it worked. So, practicilly I don’t use resistors now. Could that give a problem in the future with/for the gameport? It’s working fine for over a year but does it also in the future?

Vincent.

I think it depends upon the game port which (in yours and my case) vary between computers. I’ve never actually put a multimeter across a joystick so can’t say what the actual resistance of the X/Y potentiometers are. As I have put in the drawing, I’ve used 2k2 resistors but originally used 47k ohm.

The original IBM PC Game Port Adapter spec. allows for 0-100kOhm on the four available analogue pins (X1, Y1, X2, and Y2). A few non-IBM game adapters allow a range up to 150kOhm, but 100kOhm is the usual ‘maximum.’

Vincent: If you do not use any resistors, many game port cards will not ‘recognise’ the circuit as a ‘joystick,’ therefore I would recommend using them. Also note that as from WindowsXP, Microsoft no longer ‘officially’ support the ‘original’ DA-15 game port connector, because they assume that all game controllers are USB devices (!).

BFN
CAD

Hi there.

Has any-one heard of www.mairlist-hardware.de ?
It has a fader start interface with endings of your choice. Just never knew if everyone else has heard of it?

I understand in some cases, this option may be needed. Just a thought!

Thanks.

That site is run by Tim from the German forums (with my permission). His interfaces are based on USB gamepads.

Does it still work with mAirList i presume? Do you know if they do deliver to the UK?

Thanks.

I propose you just drop Tim a line: tim-heinrichs-noll@gmx.de

He will answer all of your questions.