Blue Screen of Death

I installed Virtual Audio Cable today and tried to get mAirList to play something out of it - and got a blue screen of death. This happened twice - I didn’t want to repeat it just in case!

Any ideas why?

The BSOD should indicate the name of the module (program or DLL) in which the exception was caused. It would be useful to know this. Just in case you want to try it again :wink:

Hi Torben!

Hier stürzt die vrtaucbl.sys ab:

STOP: 0x0000008E

vrtaucbl.sys - Adress F8725098 base at F8722000, DateStamp 46ea54ea

Alle anderen (MediaPlayer, Winamp) laufen problemlos!

[quote=“DB, post:3, topic:4047”]STOP: 0x0000008E
vrtaucbl.sys[/quote]

That does look like Virtual Audio Cable is failing, but it is difficult to say whether it is a bug in VAC or in mAirList. :-\ It could even be a bug in BASS.

BFN
CAD

A friend of mine tried to use mAirlist with Virtual Audio Cable and it BSOD’s for him too :frowning: Is it incompatible?

It would be interesting to know which version of VAC you are all using which is causing these problems.

The latest version is 4.08, but the VAC home page states that some apps. ‘work better’ with the older VAC 3 (!). VAC 4 is a WDM driver whereas VAC 3 is an MME driver.

It may be an incompatibility between BASS and VAC, so it would also be interesting to know: does anyone use other software based on BASS on a PC with VAC installed, without any problems?

Windows device drivers are notoriously difficult things to write, especially audio ones for some reason.

BFN
CAD

My friend is using 4.04 - maybe he should try v3?

It wont let me download VAC3 even though I’ve paid for version 4!

Hellow…

I found my problem: Sensaura (smsens.sys)

It can be found in:
c:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX WDM Driver\

I don’t know when this problem started (version of mAirList). Before I test all versions, maybe Torben does have an Idea? SoundMAX is my onboard soundcard which I -tryed to- use for the PFL

Ohw, and using hardware mixing (still don’t understands the difference between hardware and software mixing… sorry)

Vincent.

Hm, never heard of that “Sensaura” thing.

When you play multiple files on the same sound card at the same time, and you have “hardware mixing” enabled, BASS.DLL will hand the streams separately to the sound card (driver) which will mix them together. This is the default behavior and does not use the CPU, but it will not work with all sound cards, especially when different sample rates are involved. With “software mixing”, BASS.DLL (or, more specifically, BASSMIX.DLL) will perform the mixing and resampling and hands a single stream to the sound card. This involves a little CPU overhead but is a good option when you encounter problems with multiple streams.

ASIO ouput is always software mixing, because ASIO drivers only support a single stream in the first place. For ASIO, the output chain is BASS.DLL -> BASSMIX.DLL -> BASSASIO.DLL -> ASIO driver.

After the reboot, Microsoft came with this sort of ‘crash report’.
Never mind. This is only my test system (with fresh WindowsXP install since yesterday…) and It’s running fine with the second -internal- Terratec soundcard.

When you play multiple files on the same sound card at the same time, and you have "hardware mixing" enabled, BASS.DLL will hand the streams separately to the sound card (driver) which will mix them together. This is the default behavior and does not use the CPU, but it will not work with all sound cards, especially when different sample rates are involved. With "software mixing", BASS.DLL (or, more specifically, BASSMIX.DLL) will perform the mixing and resampling and hands a single stream to the sound card. This involves a little CPU overhead but is a good option when you encounter problems with multiple streams.

ASIO ouput is always software mixing, because ASIO drivers only support a single stream in the first place. For ASIO, the output chain is BASS.DLL → BASSMIX.DLL → BASSASIO.DLL → ASIO driver.

Thanks… still learning every day :slight_smile: Never changed this setting.

Vincent

Vincent, you may find this description of Sensaura Ltd.'s software for SoundMAX drivers helpful:
http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/static/technology/audioVideo/soundMaxFaqsFeature.html#question7

I assume it should be possible to ‘switch off’ the 3D software using the SoundMAX control panel? I don’t have any SoundMAX cards here so that is just my guess!

I also assume that when you did the XP reinstall, the SoundMAX driver ‘helpfully’ enabled the 3D software by default … :wink:

BFN
CAD