B947: Stored cartwall position/size is not used at startup

My Cartwall is loading into an ugly, squashed window which looks about the size of a ‘new’ item in Layout Designer. So, I have to resize the wind to its correct size and position each time I open mAirList.

The cartwall size and position in position.ini are correct; it’s just that mAirList is ignoring these when it starts up and not using the stored values to size and position the Cartwall.

BFN
CAD

Custom layout or automatic layout?

If I remember correctly, position.ini is only used in automatic layout mode. If you have a layout.ini file, the cartwall position is read from the latter.

Ah, yes …

… yes it is a custom layout, and ‘in a separate window.’

I will check layout.ini and will report later.

But: if position.ini is only used in automatic layout mode, why is the content of position.ini updated when mAirList closes? Is it because I have ‘Remember window position and size’ checked in Config, Cartwall, Window?

(Incidentally, Config, GUI has an option ‘Remember window size and position,’ which is inconsistent with the text in Config, Cartwall, Window. And in Config, Playlists, Playlist n, Control Bar tab, the text ‘Position at bottom (default is at top)’ would read better as ‘Position below Playlist (default is above)’ But I digress … :D)

Since my original posting, it seems that in position.ini, the Cartwall section gets changed to a position of 160,100 (or 100,160: I forget which is correct) and a size of 100×200 pixels. I am still trying to determine exactly when this change happens. Certainly that size and position (or position and size ;)) matches how my Cartwall looks when mAirList starts.

BFN
CAD

OK, there was no [Cartwall] section in my layout.ini file. I don’t think I removed it manually (?).

After I pasted the [Cartwall] section from my position.ini file into my layout.ini file (except the position=maximized line), everything returned to normal.

Why on earth would the [Cartwall] section be missing from layout.ini? Could that be because I have my Cartwall in a separate window? That would sort of explain it: start with a standard layout, then put Cartwall in a separate window and save Config again. Then use Layout Designer (which creates layout.ini). Because the Cartwall is not embedded, I could understand how layout.ini would not then contain a [Cartwall] section, because the Cartwall isn’t an object in the Layout Designer in that case. (I haven’t tested this out yet, it’s just a theory!)

Could that explain it? If so, then the obvious fix is: when you write or update a layout.ini file, make sure there is a [Cartwall] section in it. If no [Cartwall] section exists, read the [Cartwall] section from position.ini (except the position= line) and write it into layout.ini. In other words, copy it. Secondly, when Remember window size and position is specified for a Cartwall which is in a separate window, save the size and position in position.ini (obviously!) AND also save it in layout.ini if a layout.ini file exists.

I think I will need to test this in practice and see if my hunch is correct. :smiley:

BFN
CAD

OK, I think I have isolated the bug here:

Steps To Reproduce The Problem:

1. In Config, Cartwall, GUI, select these options:
    in separate window and
    Remember window position and size.
  2. Start mAirList.
  3. Make sure the Cartwall window is not maximised.
  4. Close mAirList and examine layout.ini and position.ini.
    Note the contents of their [Cartwall] sections.
  5. Start mAirList.
  6. Make sure the Cartwall window is not maximised.
  7. Change the shape and position of the Cartwall window.
  8. Close mAirList and examine layout.ini and position.ini.
    Note that the [Cartwall] section in position.ini has changed;
    and that the [Cartwall] section in layout.ini has not changed.
  9. Start mAirList.
    Note that the Cartwall window is the size/shape specified in layout.ini.

BFN
CAD

Will try to reproduce this. Thanks.

We still have the minor but irritating issue that Config, Cartwall, Window has a checkbox using the English text Remember window position and size, but Config, GUI has a checkbox using the English text Remember window size and position.

Surely (?) it would easy to make both options use the same text label? It doesn’t matter which text you choose, so long as both checkboxes have the same English text. :smiley:

BFN
CAD