b854 Browser Issues...

Hi,

Having a couple of small issues with the Browser.

1. This seems to effect the Database Search pane, but if I want to show more of the TITLE column, I have to resize using the grabber between ARTIST and DURATION. Click/dragging on the column between TITLE and ARTIST does nothing. I’ve seen this with v3.0 as well. The picture browser-columnresize.png show what I mean.

1. This seems to affect all the listboxes in whatever browser pane I have. I have colours on some type such as Jingles. If I move the mouse over the listbox, the text vanishes. It comes back if I move focus to another pane or program so I guess it’s a redraw/paint issue. The picture browser-redraw.png shows what I mean (I hope). This only affects items with a colour background.

Hope this is enough information.

Thanks and Happy New Year all. Richard

Richard,

Re point 1): the Browser has always worked like this, ever since mAirList V2.odd. IIRC, it’s something to do with the columns being set to auto-size to fill the full listbox width, though I’m not sure why it’s the Title column that is ‘non-draggable.’ This has been mentioned before in the Forum, so I’m sure if Torben had found an easy way to change this, he would have done so by now. But FWIW, I personally agree that it ‘feels wrong’ to have a list column heading which you can’t manually re-size.

Re point 2): it’s only very recently (b864 or 865, I forget which) that all lists have been changed to show the item’s background colour (as in, Item Properties dialog, General, Colour) if it has one. So, that’s at least one MORE good reason NOT to have items with a black BG colour :smiley: … but I digress. I suspect it’s a simple programming goof concerning MouseOver where the text font colour for those rows with an item BG colour has been set to the item BG colour as well, and then not reset when the mouse is no longer over the listbox, if I understand you. You say the text ‘reappears’ when you move focus elsewhere; does it also ‘reappear’ if you simply move the mouse elsewhere (off of the Browser pane) WITHOUT clicking anything? That might help Torben find and fix the bug.

Hope that helps for now?

BFN
CAD

This issue is only on the Database Search pane (that I use). I can resize in recycle bin etc as I expect. What is weird is resizing using what should resize ARTISt, yet TITLE gets bigger.

No, I can move the mouse over playlist, players etc, other non-mAirlist real-estate and the missing text stays missing. Either a different pane or the app needs to lose focus. One thing I did discover later, if I make the browser panes uses tabs as opposed to the “Outlook” style, the listbox behaves as expected.

Cheers

1. This is the expected behavior of Virtual Treeview in “auto size” mode. The Title column is marked as auto size. It will take up all space not used by any other column, making sure that all available horizontal space is taken up, but no scrollbar is displayed at any time. If you want to make the Title column wider, you have to resize one of the other columns.

I agree that this doesn’t feel quite natural - on the other hand, it avoids the need to manually resize the colums when you resize the window, something I find very annoying in e.g. Windows Explorer.

I have written some code recently that handles the (de-)serialization (saving/loading) of Virtual Treeview columns. In the latest snapshots, it is used to store and restore the customizable columns in the mAirListDB library view. Perhaps I can use that code for the browsers as well, and store the column configuration in the desktop files.

1. This issue has been reported in the German forums a few days ago and should be fixed in the latest snapshot.

[quote=“Torben, post:4, topic:7102”]1. This is the expected behavior of Virtual Treeview in “auto size” mode. The Title column is marked as auto size. It will take up all space not used by any other column, making sure that all available horizontal space is taken up, but no scrollbar is displayed at any time. If you want to make the Title column wider, you have to resize one of the other columns.

I agree that this doesn’t feel quite natural - on the other hand, it avoids the need to manually resize the colums when you resize the window, something I find very annoying in e.g. Windows Explorer.[/quote]

It does indeed feel unnatural. I have the browser in a relatively small box on the right and I’ve found it drives me nuts. I can’t even resize the Artist column at all.

Thanks. I’ll check it out soon.

I’ve been thinking about this, Torben. Presumably after the user manually resizes a Column in a Virtual Treeview object, some event is fired. If that’s true, couldn’t you call the TVirtualTreeColumns.AdjustAutoSize method when that event fires?

If not, maybe Mr. Lischke could suggest a way to have the object auto-size, yet make EVERY column manually resizable? Surely (?) some other application must contain an auto-sizing Virtual Treeview grid where EVERY column can be manually re-sized by the user?

BFN
CAD

Eats humble pie. Yes, I can resize the Artist column, quite an interesting effect, Title and Artist widths counter each other, Duration remains the same. :slight_smile: