Adjustable number of blocks in music template

Hi guys,

Here is an idea;
In the music templates there are now 16 blocks available. For some it is way too much, for some it is maybe a few too less :wink:

Is it possible to assign your own number of blocks using a setting somewhere? So when people only use 1, they have 1 block and people who would like to 20 blocks can have 20 :slight_smile:
Here is an explenaition how my music template blocks are setup in version 6.3.
Every show has its own music template wich contains these blocks;

Block 1 - Normal music odd hour (1st block)
Block 2 - Normal music odd hour (2nd block)
Block 3 - Normal music even hours (1st block)
Block 4 - Normal music even hours (2nd block)
Block 5 - Summer music odd hours (1st block)
Block 6 - Summer music odd hours (2nd block)
Block 7 - Summer music even hours (1st block)
Block 8 - Summer music even hours (2nd block)
Block 9 - Christmas music odd hours (1st block)
Block 10 - Christmas music odd hours (2nd block)
Block 11 - Christmas music even hours (1st block)
Block 12 - Christmas music even hours (2nd block)
Block 13 - Christmasday music odd hours
Block 14 - Christmasday music even hours
Block 15 - Normal music including a specific song (The song of the week)
Block 16 - Spare music to fill the playlist

I know it looks strange, But it is a great way to schedule all playlists without having a lot of templates.
My hour template is quite complex with a lot of blocks, but the restrictions per block it’s super easy to schedule the playlists.
I only have 6 hour templates wich makes everything possible. (newyearsday, 4 may memorial dutch day, christmas, christmas days, standard and summer) I never have to change my music template assignment because every show has all music templates included in the blocks.

Hope you like to think about this feature. Also for people who only use just a few block, it can be more easier to use.

Thank you, but it looks like a feature request, so I have moved this thread.

The feature requests are marked, so Torben can search for them using a fiter. :wink:

The maximum number of blocks is hardcoded, as it makes a lot of things easier in the code for me. (Same goes for number of ad blocks etc.). But it’s just an upper limit, and I believe noone should ever hit it :wink:

The purpose of blocks is to devide the hour into segments, e.g. first 30 minutes = Block 1, second half = Block 2.

Some stations have news at xx:30:00, and they want to start “fresh” with a particular folder/category after the news. So they would devide their music templates into two blocks, and then use block 2 after the news.

Bottom line: I think you are using the blocks in the wrong way :wink:

thx for your responce. When the number is hardcoded, this suggestion is not able to work.

I understand the way the blocks are used as segments, but when thinking a bit more complex it is great to use even more.

As u explain I do use block 1 for the first 30 minutes and block 2 is used for the second half hour of the odd hours wich is splitted at xx:30:00 with news/ commercials.
Then i use block 3 and 4 in the same way for the even hours,
Block 5 and 6 are used in the same way, but then filled with summer format for the odd hours,
Block 7 and 8 are also used this way with summer format for the even hours,
Block 9 and 10 equal with christmas format for odd hours,
Block 11 and 12 equal with christmas format for even hours,
Block 13 and 14 equal with christmasdays format,
Block 15 is a special block wich is used in combination with all other blocks,
Block 16 is a block wich contains just music to plan some extra tracks at the end of the hour.

In the Hour template you are able to give restrictions to the blocks, so in this way I never have to change anything and the minischeduler always plans the right music at the right time of the year.

So I am using the blocks in the way you explain, only I made the templates complex so that after setting up once, the minischeduler is fully automated for the entire year;)

I Think you created the minischeduler even less mini then you can imagine :wink: Just think out the comfortzone and you’ll see it has so much more oportunities.

Honestly, I think you are not using the blocks in the right way :slight_smile:

Instead of one music template with several blocks for several purposes (odd/even hours, etc.), you should just create many music templates, and set them in the assigment grid as required :slight_smile:

I understand your thinking, but with the use of a lot of music and hour templates the overview can be lost.
it’s hard to explain through a forum without being able to see it, but I’m using the blocks exactly as you describe. However, by using multiple blocks, there is much more overview. (in my opinion.) This also means I don’t have to use the extra tabs in the overviews.

That is also the beauty of a software such as mAirlist. a Dutch saying; There are several roads that lead to Rome.

I also have to admit that I’m quite a ‘nerd’ myself and I’m always trying to get the most out of software.

Let’s close this topic, since we’re deviating from the first question of whether the number of blocks could become variable. I don’t want to waste your precious time too much.

If you ever want to see a visualized explanation of my thoughts so that you understand that much more is possible with the software than everyone expects, you know how to reach me :wink:
I think it’s an honor to be able to exchange ideas someday, although I understand that your time is precious.

This is also a popular saying in Germany:

Viele Wege führen nach Rom.

Thank you.