3.0.12 Sending Playlist Output To Icecast

We use Mairlist to play audio to a hardware mixer at our community radio station. The audio output goes to Icecast via a Barix hardware encoder. From time to time the hardware encoder crashes. Apart from figuring out why this happens, I also want an alternate solution. Preferred way forward is to continue to playout from Mairlist through a software encoder to icecast. I’m sure Mairlist can be configured to transmit to Icecast, but can’t see how it’s done in V3.0.12

mAirList 3 Professional Edition has a Shoutcast/Icecast compatible encoder included. In mAirList 3.1, it has been significally improved. It now supports multiple server connections as well as an aircheck facility (encoding to file) and VST sound processing plugins.

Hi - OK. Looks like version I’m using therefore doesn’t support it and we should consider upgrading to 3.1 Pro. New budgets won’t be available until June (that’s when our grant is paid over), so this’ll have to wait. Thanks.

Please note that, as a community radio station, you have to use the Professional Edition anyway.

The discounted/free Personal and Community Editions are strictly for home users only. It’s illegal to use them in a “real radio station” environment.

More information can be found here: http://www.mairlist.com/en/home/info.php

I appreciate that the licensing conditions changed after we started to use your product and that, when we did adopt it, the situation was different. You sent us the licence string.

The licensing change is why we haven’t looked at upgrading over the last year or so. We may be a community station but we have no staff (all volunteers) and very little money. The plan was to wait until we had money and then upgrade.

Will 3.1 Pro enable us to encode a stream to Icecast and output audio to a hardware mixer at the same time. We do not have a permamenent FM licence, but for about 2 weeks of the year do have a temporary FM licence - so we still need to get audio to the TX.

Phil, can you please send me an e-mail to info@mairlist.com stating the exact edition and serial number of the license you are currently working on. If I sent you a license, it must be in my database somewhere, but I need the serial number to look it up.

The home vs. professional licensing policy has always been the same since the release of mAirList 3.0.0 in January 2009.

The Community Edition used to be freely downloadable without prior registration until about two months ago, but still under the “home user” restriction. However, there were too many who downloaded and used the software in a non-home environment (not complying with the licensing terms), so we changed the licensing process (but not the licensing terms!), and everybody is required to register in order to receive his free copy.

Unfortunately, there are still some people who try to circumvent this process by entering incorrect data in the registration form. It is very likely that we’ll stop giving out any free licenses (that is, abandoning the Communit Edition altogether) if we cannot get hold of this problem.