2.1.40: Players: Loop and FADEOUT problem/bug

I have set my Players in Config so that Action On Click is FADEOUT (a very useful new feature!).

In ASSIST mode, when a Player is loaded and the LOOP button is pressed, clicking PLAY works as expected and the track will auto-repeat (loop). So far, so good. :slight_smile:

If I then click the Player to execute the FADEOUT, what happens depends on the time to the end of the track, and in neither case does it do what I expect (which is to execute a FADE and then STOP, plus ejecting the track if the auto-eject option is set).

If there is enough time to execute the FADEOUT before EOF: the Player displays FADE, executes the FADE, then plays the track from the start again. The Player remains in FADE and clicking the Player again does nothing because the Player thinks it is still in the FADE State.

If there is NOT enough time to execute the FADEOUT before EOF: the Player displays FADE and presumably is trying to execute the FADEOUT but nothing appears to happen because the track plays from the start again before the FADEOUT can complete. Again, the Player remains in FADE and clicking the Player again does nothing because the Player thinks (?) it is still in the FADE State.

I had been hoping it would be possible to put (say) a dry sweeper of the station name in Player 1, Loop it, and then PLAY it over the start of a track from Player 2; then click the Player 1 to fade it out under the track, but unfortunately that doesn’t seem possible. I suspect it would need a change to the internal Player logic (don’t faint, Torben! ;)) to make this possible, because the Player would need to unconditionally execute the FADEOUT (and STOP) regardless of its position in the track, even if the track is 2s long (or maybe even shorter!).

I hope I’ve explained that well enough? It really would be an excellent feature!

BFN
CAD

Well, these are the special situations I haven’t investigated yet after having introduced the Loop function.

The algorithm is rather dump: When EOF (or Cue Out, or also end of fade, as it turns out) is reached, the player checks whether the Loop button is checked (or the equivalent player option is activated). If so, playback is restarted.

The easiest way to accomplish the desired behavior would be to disable the Loop button when a Fade Out command is executed, wouldn’t it?

Not quite! Imagine you have a 1.5s dry sweeper (e.g. ‘Leith FM’) and you have a Fade length time of 3s.

You would need to (as I said) unconditionally execute the FADEOUT, and after the fade has executed, unconditionally switch off the LOOP setting and then STOP the Player.

The fade needs to execute to completion even if the Player has started replaying the track whilst the fade is happening, because the track may be shorter than the Fade length. Does that make sense? :slight_smile:

BFN
CAD

Ok, I see what you mean. This is going to be tricky.

Not tricky enough for me :wink: Will be included in v.41.

Good man! I knew you could do it!

I know the effect I’m after, and can even imagine it in my head. I’m really looking forward to hearing it for real!

Thanks again!

BFN
CAD