2.1.40 build 449: COMMAND/BREAK custom icons

I was messing around with custom icons for Playlist items today. If I open the Properties dialog for a Command or Break item in a Playlist, select a custom icon, then click Save, I get a message box which reads:

Update failed: Interface not supported

When I click OK in this message box, the icon is updated properly. The message box only seems to occur for non-audio items (?), and as I say, the update of the item’s icon seems to go ahead correctly despite the message box.

Supplementary issue/questions:

1. I am using 48×48 icons with 32-bit colour (‘grabbed’ from within several Microsoft DLL files ;)). These icons do not seem to resize to fit the column size, and seem always to be displayed at 100% size even if the Icon column is resized. This happens for ALL Playlist items with custom icons (including audio items). I appreciate that this may be related to the resizing problem with the LINK icon and column, but thought you would like to know.

2. Is there any limitation on the size/colour depth/transparency type for custom Playlist icons, or can ANY .ICO file be used as a custom icon?

3. Can the ‘default’ icons for Playlist items (e.g. audio item, BREAK, COMMAND) be changed in a similar way to the Playlist LINK icon?

Thanks in advance.

(Yes, I know: I don’t like icons in Playlists/Players and would not myself choose to use them, but I’m currently designing a Layout/Skin for other people to use! ;D)

BFN
CAD

The “Update failed” error is only in the latest snapshot. I have already noticed an corrected it.

1. This is a known bug, it’s mentioned at the top of Changelog.txt.

2. There are no limitations I’m aware of.

3. Sure, they can. These are the file names (files are to be put into the “images” folder):

icon_comment.png
icon_file.png
icon_break.png
icon_stream.png
icon_container.png
icon_regioncontainer.png
icon_silence.png
icon_command.png
icon_history.png
icon_error.png
icon_playlist.png
icon_dummy.png
icon_advertisement.png
icon_audimark.png

Is it possible to allow .ICO files as custom icons ? I have some nice icons from iconarchive.com that I’d like as defaults, but you only specify .PNG files here…

The “custom default” icons, that is, the icon_* files to be placed into the “images” directory, must be in PNG format.

Of course, you can use ICO files as the custom image for any particular playlist item.

Charlie: If it helps, I recently found a good freeware icon converter/icon wrangler called Icon Sushi, which lets you quickly create PNG versions of icons, including icons ‘buried’ in DLL, EXE, and RES files ;).

I don’t have a link for it to hand, but it should be easily findable courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Google! :smiley:

BFN
CAD

Thanks - it works although it won’t save with proper transparency (despite me trying all the options).

Oh. Sorry about that, didn’t know that Icon Sushi had transparency problems saving PNGs. Isn’t there some variant of File/Save as PNG within IS that does do proper alpha transparency?

BFN
CAD