1.5.45: mAirList refuses to start Maximized (?)

For some reason, even though I have set my mAirList Shortcut to run in a Maximzed window, this is ignored at startup, and mAirList will only run in a Normal window.

My guess is that the mAirList code is setting the window size to Normal during initialization, thus screwing up my preference in the shortcut.

Can this please be changed? Thanks in advance.

BFN
CAD

mAirList should always start maximized, regardless of what you have set in the shortcut settings. However, when it comes to multi-monitor environments, things get a little difficult and I need to manually adjust the size in some situations.

What’s the Options->Monitor value in your mAirList.ini?

Torben

Torben, you just jogged my memory! I set the ‘Extend over all monitors’ option ON at one point, precisely to prevent mAirList starting Maximized. As you say, switching this setting off (i.e. setting it to ‘Monitor 1’) does indeed force a Maximized application window.

Can I tactfully make the following two points?

1. Many people WILL NEED to be able to see other windows on the screen apart from mAirList. It is a pain to have to un-Maximize the window every time mAirList starts up.

2. It is very bad programming practice (as well as being very rude) to ignore a user’s preference as expressed via Window Size setting in a Shortcut. It says to the user: ‘I don’t care what setting you want, I am telling you that this program will run the way I say it should.’

I think you should allow the user to set the Window Size which works best for them. By all means set a Window Size of Maximized when you create the desktop/menu Shortcut during mAirList install, but please do not force a size on the user. Please?

BFN
CAD

I wouldnt say it was bad programming practice or rude! It’s Torbens software…and how much are you paying for it!?

If he want’s the software to run that way - then thats how it should run surely?

Guys, keep calm :slight_smile: Here’s the facts:

• To be honest, yes, I expected everyone wants to run mAirList in full screen mode :slight_smile:

• Getting the multi-monitor features working was quite a PITA, and it involved some tricky manipulations of the window size and states.

• Preventing mAirList from not maximizing itself isn’t quite a problem. Remembering its last state and position is a problem as long as we want the software to keep its fingers of the Registry.

• Unless you downloaded the setup .exe, there is no shortcut to put the “maximized” setting into.

Looks like we need to find another way to let everyone choose his favorite size and position.

Torben

I have investigated the problem a little further, here is some more information.

It is fairly easy to detect the state requested by the shortcut: maximized, minimized or normal window. However, when running the .exe directly without a shortcut, Windows sends “normal window” as the requested state. Thus, mAirList cannot tell whether it was run directly or whether through a shortcut requesting a non-maximized state. I will therefore add another option called “always start maximized”. Deactivating it, mAirList will run non-maximized when started directly, or in the requested state when started through a shortcut.

So far, so good.

I’m sure Cad doesn’t want to adjust the position and exact size each time he runs mAirList. So we need a way to save and restore that position. Registry? Nah. Ini file? Perhaps. Fixed position read from a layout.ini-like file? Don’t know.

What do you think?

Torben

Matt: No disrespect at all to Torben personally, nor his fine programming skills! I’m a programmer myself, and I know that riding roughshod over a user’s preferences (via shortcut Window Size, for example) is something that users (rightly!) get very worked up about. It’s often a reason cited by people who hate Microsoft, because Microsoft and Windows do this in many subtle and unsubtle ways.

Torben:

1. I totally agree that handling multi-monitors in a application IS a PITA! I have had to do this myself once or twice (shudder!).

2. Many users will create a desktop shortcut for mAirList, even if they do so themselves; and they will expect their Window Size choice to be honoured.

3. As you half-suggested, LAYOUT.INI seems the right place to store the main app. window top, left, width, and height, just like (for example) the Browser. I would suggest naming the new section either [Application] or [Window].

4. Funnily enough, I was going to request the ability to store the Cartwall size and position in exactly the same way. Using a separate Cartwall, as I have to do at home (only one monitor!), it would be good not to have to reszie it every time I open it. [THINKS: I seem to have heard those words before somewhere?!!] Why not make both changes at the same time? :wink: Thanks in advance.

BFN
    CAD

Woops that did sound a bit odd :shock: didnt mean to sound like that sorry!

Storing that values in layout.ini is not possible, because the existence of layout.ini implies that you want custom layout - and this is not necessarily true.

So we need another ini file, say position.ini. And perhaps an option to always (re)store the current position automatically.

Torben