Warning Error fetching listener data Shoutcast 2.4.7.256

I was just wondering because what you described here:

sounds exactly like Icecast2 to me :slight_smile:

When you say that there should be “another” open source solution, there must be something wrong about Icecast in your opinion.

No, it’s more a point of IF shoutcast goes full commercial (paid for DNAS) or vanishes altogether, and I’m not saying it will, then there needs to be competition to IceCast 2.

Without healthy market competition, the market place becomes stale and lazy. And besides, technology and development has progressed since Shoutcast and Icecast 2 were born, I bet both could do with a code base refresh!

Hi Matt and Torben,
Interesing discussion. I know Icecast is very good and stable, but the big advantage of Shoutcast is the immense directory (the Yellow Pages) of radios they have and the fact that a lot of people still tune in to webstreams via the Shoutcast directory. Also, a lot of aggregators like TuneIn Radio and a lot of others use Shoutcast to build their list of radios from it.
It is very sad that DrO does not work there anymore as it was the only guy who seemed to care about DNAS and its development. I don’t know what the plans for the future of DNAS are at Radiology but I don’t think it will disappear or that the development will stop as the whole Radiology system relies on DNAS as well. They want to earn money by offering ‘streaming as a service’ and selling commercials for the streams on their platform. I will ask them and keep you informed.

Frank

I know the latest beta build I run that I was testing for DrO included there new ad based monetisation. I guess that is the future of Radiology and there revenue model.

It also hints at a new registration system for YP, having proper accounts and logins for the Authhash generated by a server being listed in the YP. You can see that here: https://accounts.shoutcast.com/

The version I have has security added to the Admin functions and section, a feature I requested. Just basic IP based sec, but helps to keep people out of the admin areas. Although I know there was talk of developing HTTPS later.

I know its not the end of the line for Shoutcast, and I’m not suggesting that, but I’m also aware that if Radiology is to have a long term future, then revenue will inevitably become a priority.