New to MAirList: Need Help Setting Up

Hi there
I’m on MAirlist demo and fully intend to purchase the full version just as soon as I’m set up. Just need to get all my equipment configured.
I have the following:
Windows Laptop with MAirlist on for playout pc
Yamaha AG 06 mixer
Obviously mic
iMac/external hard drive where music is stored

I’m pretty tech savvy but just need some advice about wiring this up so I can get started :hugs:

Thank you in advance

It depends on how you want to perform your show including the mixer.
Is it just for your mic and to have a monitoring control of the music? Or would you like to mix music, carttwall and mic on the mixer (for which the mixer would be a bit too small to perform) and send back the complete main signal to mAirList and via encoder on the stream?

Hi there - pretty much for the mic and to have control of the mixer at the moment. I want to record syndicated shows mainly using voicetracking :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t see a problem using this hardware. Connect the microphone to the mixer and the mixer with your mAirList laptop (I think the preferred connection is USB, right?).

The only thing you should take care of: Don’t let the music coming from mAirList be a part of the signal send back to mAirList VT recorder. This must be separated on this mixer, but I think this should be possible.

Thanks so much.

Yes - there are 3 options on a switch on the mixer - on of which is “Loopback” so as long as this isn’t on it should be ok.

Thanks for your help :blush:

Yes, I think that’s the correct switch position (loopback off).
You should have the signal of music and your voice on your headphone (which is connected to the mixer), but the only signal recorded in mAirList VT (via mixer main out routed to USB) is your voice.

I hope you’ll have success while you try mAirList and I’d be happy to welcome you as a “full member” of the mAirList community. :slight_smile:

Great - I’ll try it this morning. Can’t wait.
Just out of interest - if I was to change mixers - what would you recommend in about the £150-£200 price range?

Thanks

A recommendation is always difficult, because you have to work with it and not the one who recommends the device.

So if voicetracking is enough to prepare your shows, I think it’s okay.

If you would like to record “live on tape” and give each playout channel its own fader, you need a mixing console starting right above the mentioned budget.
However, maybe Behringer offers small mixers that are cheap enough, but: In addition, you need a multi-channel sound card for all those analog mixers.

Imho it is very difficult to find a good (!) multichannel setup below £200.

Ah - I see. So something like this https://www.gak.co.uk/en/tascam-dp-24sd/120632?gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA340wBZgcETBGB9bVS1iJA2XwFNYGuce3pepg3csUuP1O728eN1pyYqRoCFo4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds ?

I think I’ll voice track to begin with and then if I want to go live I’ll perhaps upgrade to another mixer :blush:

Oops… I’m not sure if this would be the right one (spontaneous: no, it isn’t).

Let me tell you my story:
I began webcasting with one of the first Yamaha 12 mixers, now called MG12 (which ist still a good mixer to start with :sunglasses:)
Then I switched to my favourited Allen&Heath, a ZED-14 (which is now sold as a ZED-12 in the store you linked).

Many private user prefer the Behringer DX2000, which fits into your budget, but from my personal point of view … okay, it’s your decision. Personally, I would not spend money on that device and save it to buy another mixer later. But you will find enough user being happy with it.

Please don’t forget that you need a multi-channel sound card (5.1 = 3 stereo channels or 7.1 = 4 stereo channels) and they are either very cheap and have no good quality or expensive or they are - on the second hand market - rare.

In the german section of this forum, I started a list of devices I have found in the forum used by mAirList users:

An all-in-one device, the D&R Webstation (small mixer, multi-channel soundcard integrated, remote control with mAirList (needs an upgrade)) starts around £851 - just to show you that the price scale is unlimited… :flushed:

Wow! lol yes I see!
I think you’re correct - I will wait and spend money later on a good machine if and when I need it! Clearly the sky is the limit :wink:
Thanks so much - I appreciate your advice :pray:

@UliNobbe is absolutely correct here: Buying overly cheap means buying twice!

All in all, there are almost no alternatives to the mixers of the D&R family in their price range. (Indeed, I don’t know any, and I am not affiliated to their company!) I, as an old professional broadcaster, definitely encourage you to aim at some mixer with long faders and a clear layout, as it is vital for broadcasting (which means performing many tasks at the same time) not being distracted by fiddly controls – which all the (essentially non-broadcast type) Behringers and, sorry Uli, Yamahas (and else) do have.

And you should take into account that the D&Rs come with a built-in soundcard and (VoIP-) telephone hybrid, so the cost may be put in this perspective, too.

Counselling regards

TSD

Hi there

Ok - I’ve changed my mixer. I now have the Mackie Pro FX8. I realise it’s still a budget mixer - but the Yamaha was ridiculously small and at least I can use this for other things.
So now I have:
The mixer plugged into the mains
The USB from the mixer to the PC
A mic into an XLR channel

Do I now order a multi-channel soundcard? And if so - where on earth do I plug this into? Very confused!

Blockquote

For producing shows with voice track: No.
Live shows or live on tape: player 1 = fader 3/4, player 2 = fader 5/6, cartwall = fader 7/8.

Multi-channel sound card: please use a so called 5.1 type (front, rear, center).
Connect front with 3/4, rear with 5/6, center with 7/8.
In mAirList configuration set playout of player 1 to front, player 2 to rear, cartwall to center.

What do you mean when you write:

?

The mixer should get some voltage to operate, so she plugged it into a mains socket (= Netzsteckdose). This is how I get it.

Connected regards

TSD

Yes - that’s what I meant! lol The previous mixer I had was usb powered :slight_smile:
Ok - so producing shows with voice track no multi-channel sound card is required. I will try - but when I tried to record last time I was getting a lot of feedback :thinking:?

So simple - yes, you’re right. :blush:
In Germany we use to say “den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht sehen” (translated literally: not to see the wood for the trees).

Okay, concerning mAirList, I propose you upload a screenshot of your actual Audio Devices settings in the configuration like this:

When here everything is okay - I don’t know if we can help you with the hardware. On the other hand: The community is usually very involved there.

Thank you so much :blush: I will do that just as soon as I can

I hope you use headphones? :headphones:

Please check if the Mic Monitor is not set (device grayed out):

3 posts were split to a new topic: Looking for a new mixer with mAirList