Installing mairlist on a 2008 without soundcard

He Torben

I have a question. My dedicated server in the data centre will be replaced later this week for a new one because windows 2003 will be not anylonger supported by my hosting providor. So 2008 will be now the operating system . So everyting must be swapped to a faster machine.
So question is now . Does Mairlist run over only the enocoder or is a soundcard required ?
Situation will be the same as it was as the windows 2003 server. But my hosting provider did call me tonight if Mairlist runs without a soundcard just under the encoder.
The problem is that the 2003 server is too old . So all servers will be moved to another platform.
Please let me know as soon as possible.

Regards

Goos

mAirList runs fine on a 2008 server without a sound card.

But you have to install the Desktop Experience package in order to get the required codecs.

Thanks informed my hosting provider . So it will be quicker to replace the hardware other wise he had to order a new soundcard as well.
I find it strange that it could work wirhout a card . But i am used to work only with programms what is using soundcards

Regards

Goos

Hi Goos,
there are also a couple of Virtual Soundcard Applications available. They probably don’t work on Virtual Server but on dedicated Server (that you are using) it should be no problem.
I use Virtual Audio Cable to route mAirList Encoder Output to a Silence Detector. That is working really good, except that the detector sometims crashes.
mAirList has no problem with VAC.
Within mAirList I route all players directly to the Encoder, same as you do if there is not Sound-Card available.

Best Regards
Malte

To clarify, if you plan to play directly into the encoder, mAirList requires absolutely no sound card. Also no virtual sound card or whatever. All audio data is handled within the software and then sent to the streaming server.

The only issue with the Windows Server operating systems is the missing MP3 codec for playback. This can be solved by installing either the Desktop Experience package, or Windows Media Player directly (it includes the required codec).

Thanks Torben.

It makes a lot clearer your answer. Will ask my hosting provider to install it as well on the server. The only question is still if the vst plug ins are they still working then ? I do not want that my listners hears a difference if i am comming now from a windows 2003 server or 2008.

Regards

Goos

Short and clear answer: the VST plugins will work fine.

Generally, all audio processing (decoding, mixing etc.) takes place in memory. It’s all digital samples, bits and bytes, that are processed by the CPU. A sound card is only required when you want to listen to the audio. If you just plan to encode it and send it to a server, no sound card is required.

Thanks . This is for the non-stop situation outside the live houres.

Wil open a new issue with you for studio questions

Regards

Goos