Encoder - AAC+ Options?

I’m thinking of experimenting with mAirlist running my internet station, and wondered if anyone had managed to generate AAC+ in the Encoder section? The default options are for MP3 and Ogg, but I have 2 AAC+ streams now running.

Thanks

There is no support for AAC+ so far, although it would be possible to implement with the current BASS libraries. Generally, BASSenc can handle any command line encoder (there is one for AAC+, right?), it’s just a matter of sending the right content type to Shoutcast/Icecast.

Licensing is the most serious issue, I suppose: http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/AAC_fees.cfm

MP3 patent licensing is even worse. The minimum annual fee for me to pay is $15,000. Right now, I’m getting around that by not delivering LAME myself but letting the user download it (and check if he needs a patent license in his particular country). I don’t know if that trick works for AAC as well.

[quote=“Torben, post:2, topic:6843”]There is no support for AAC+ so far, although it would be possible to implement with the current BASS libraries. Generally, BASSenc can handle any command line encoder (there is one for AAC+, right?), it’s just a matter of sending the right content type to Shoutcast/Icecast.

Licensing is the most serious issue, I suppose: http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/AAC_fees.cfm

MP3 patent licensing is even worse. The minimum annual fee for me to pay is $15,000. Right now, I’m getting around that by not delivering LAME myself but letting the user download it (and check if he needs a patent license in his particular country). I don’t know if that trick works for AAC as well.[/quote]

Thanks Torben.

Licensing isn’t as bad as it could be but still $1,000 upfront for small companies before you add the $50 per encoder! A lot less than MP3 though.

I’ll dig around and see what I can find out on the command line stuff.

Looks like that may be the beastie. Off to play at some point :slight_smile:

So, the next question is, on the Shoutcast option in Encoder, does it expect to use the lame.exe and the “Encoder Options” is just for that exe file, or can I use the “Encoder Options” to specify the encoder as well?

Thanks again.

I need to add support for custom encoders into mAirList. Right now it only supports LAME and oggenc.

Also, I think the licensing issue is still present, even when using a command line encoder that is based on a licensed product (Winamp). Read reply #32 in the thread you mentioned.

Sadly I believe you are correct. C’est la vie. ;D

I think I have another way to “skin this cat” as they say. I would treat this a low-priority request :slight_smile: