Database advice

I’m working as a consultant for a very small station. They have equipment I’m already used too. There even using my stations engineering staff to help them build it. I’ve said they can have our audio obviously minus the station specific material . My station uses audio stored centrally on a PostgreSQL database.

The other station I’m working with cannot afford the same infrastructure we have nor have the room for it. It literally is one room (Although I did manage to persuade to use Mairlist.)

Is there a way I can convert a network database to a local one. I don’t really want to re tag and apply ramp time again for thousands of songs

Just curious, why would you need so much room or money to run mAirList DB on PostgreSQL ? :smiley: I don’t see the link between both… PostgreSQL is free open source software and you definately don’t need a room full of servers for it.

To answer your question: just export your cue information to mmd files (select all, right click, mass edit) and copy them together with the audio files… Or export a csv file with all the information (Database > Export)… Both easy peasy… :wink:

Hi Tim Thanks for the reply, Sorry if I came across if stations with smaller setups were in some way inferior to ours, that’s certainly not what I was trying to suggest , in our case we have a mutti studio set up with some off site from our base, its easier for us to manage just one set of audio centrally

Thank you for you advice though. I tried the CSV file export that went perfectly OK, which I took with me on a USB stick, when I did the import at the new station, The information went in, Ramps, Hooks, ETC , but every artists and title was wrong. , As an example I saw A-HA Cry Wolf on screen but what was heard was Train - Drive- by.

Any thoughts what I’d done.? I’ve not tried with the MMD files yet , as I only had the audio files on the drive and the CSV File

Oh no that’s not what I meant, I just don’t understand that even if you are a small station you choose for a local library form. Better to do it properly from the first time so that if you ever need to add a second studio (for example) you don’t have to worry about it.

That’s because you already have the tracks added in your new library. They get an internal ID then, and the export also has an internal ID from the other database. Obviously these are not the same so everything gets mixed up. You should choose “CSV-file (without IDs)” when exporting then it matches them on the filename instead of the ID. Or another option is to first remove them again from the new library and then import the CSV, then it’s no problem the ID’s are included.

Ahh yes I copied the audio across then synced then did the/ import.

Really apricate your knowledge . I’m in other station beginning of next week, I’m hoping after their database is working with everything in tact my work on this project will be done

Totally right on that, Tim. It is easily possible to run the PostgreSQL Database (and all the audio files) on a local NAS. This NAS can be in the same room as the studio. Works like a charm!

Sorry for the lack of update. My own station is in emergency studios at the minute. I’ve had to sort that first.

Thank you the guidance on the database on the station I was helping.

Running Postgrad I thought was a great idea however it wasn`t possible they don’t have the licence to support a network database.

My work is done on this project I managed to get all the info, ramps etc across. This station is part of a regeneration project. Its now in a situation where the kids can start running it themselves. Myself and I my team will stay in touch and advise if needed.

Thank you to everyone here who helped solve the problem I had