Custom icons don't work over mAirListDB Server? Bug?

Hi everybody,

We have added a custom icon to every music track in our database with the single cover. It works fine on the server, however when we open an item on another machine which is connected through mAirListDB, it throws the error “Cannot open file” and the path to the jpg file on the server followed by “The system cannot find the path specified”…

What is even stranger is that we use Dropbox to have local copies of every file on all machines, also for these images, it’s even in the exact same path as on the server.

It’s quite annoying to have to click away this error everytime you open a track.

Any ideas?

Anyone? @Torben?
I would really like to find a solution to this, it’s very annoying…

Hi Tim,

as there aren’t too many guys out here who are familiar with supporting mAirListDB Server, it might take a little time to get your question answered since Torben is on holiday at the moment. Urgent support is ensured, but you may evaluate the urgency of your issue by yourself … :wink:

Deferring regards

TSD

Hmm actually you’re absolutely right… It’s the error that is urgent but the icons itself are not that important so I’ll just fix it by removing them. I can always add them again when there is a fix for this. Thanks for putting my feet on the ground haha :grinning:

Actually at the office, but not for too long, haha :slight_smile:

Can you please copy any of the failing items to clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste the XML here in the forum (Ctrl+V)?

I see now I have been very stupid and put a space in a directory name on the client which is not there on the server :smiley:
That solves the problem for the clients that have a local copy. But if there is no local copy the problem is still the same.

Here is the xml:

<Playlist>
  <PlaylistItem Class="File" ID="{FF17196D-3FAC-478E-A30B-CA6A03BEDF35}" State="Normal">
    <Filename>C:\ZoeFM\Dropbox\FM\Muziek\Cunnigham - Norma Jean Wants To Be A Movie Star.mp3</Filename>
    <Amplification>2,55743193626404</Amplification>
    <Title>Norma Jean Wants To Be A Movie Star</Title>
    <Artist>Cunningham</Artist>
    <Type>Music</Type>
    <Duration>221.453</Duration>
    <Database>mAirListDB:{85EF396F-391F-4BC4-9323-8497D2DC76EA}</Database>
    <DatabaseID>4077</DatabaseID>
    <ExternalID>2382</ExternalID>
    <IconFilename>C:\ZoeFM\Dropbox\FM\Muziek\Afbeeldingen\2382.jpg</IconFilename>
    <Attributes>
      <Item>
        <Name>Happy</Name>
        <Value>1</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Tekst/muziek</Name>
        <Value>James Cunningham</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Kerst</Name>
        <Value>0</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Producers</Name>
        <Value>Dennis Lambert, Brian Potter</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Slow</Name>
        <Value>0</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Jaar</Name>
        <Value>1974</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Opener</Name>
        <Value>0</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Rating</Name>
        <Value>4</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Oldies</Name>
        <Value>1</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Snelheid</Name>
        <Value>Gemiddeld</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Love</Name>
        <Value>0</Value>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <Name>Party</Name>
        <Value>0</Value>
      </Item>
    </Attributes>
    <Color>#80FF80</Color>
    <Markers>
      <Marker Type="CueIn" Position="0.573"/>
      <Marker Type="Ramp1" Position="16.776"/>
      <Marker Type="StartNext" Position="211.465"/>
      <Marker Type="FadeOut" Position="211.358"/>
      <Marker Type="CueOut" Position="211.505"/>
    </Markers>
    <Levels>
      <Peak>-2.557</Peak>
      <TruePeak>-2.510</TruePeak>
      <Loudness>-13.477</Loudness>
    </Levels>
  </PlaylistItem>
</Playlist>

There are actually two ways to store an icon:

1. As a reference to a local file (as you did) - of course it must exist on all clients then, so you need to sync via Dropbox etc.
  2. Inline (data is stored on server) - hold Shift when you select the icon in the Properties dialog. Will bloat your database and increase bandwidth, of course.

Please decide which is the better solution for you.

Hmm okay, wouldn’t it be more logical if the mAirListDB server handles these things over https? To store them in the database is not a very good option I think. Then we better remove it.

What happens if you set mAirlist to use the image, embedded in the Audio file. Will those be embedded when accessing the Database Server remotely?
Maybe not if you use the new “Transcoding” feature.
But if it transfers a copy of the original file?