Cleanfeed Outputs for Behringer DX1000 or DX2000 mixers

Originally, the mixing consoles DX1000 and DX2000 by Behringer do not come with a cleanfeed device. For connecting Skype or telephone hybrids anyway, you can use a workaround as follows:

(The inventor’s honour is due solely to @shorty.xs, I am the columnist only!)

• Skype requires an appropriate sound input and -output each. As mAirList itself uses her own multichannel sounddevice anyway, the – otherwise idle – onboard soundcard will do nicely. The safest way operating Skype were a seperate computer indeed, but if you don’t suffer from load problems, this is no must-have.

• Connect the output of the Skype computer (or the telephone hybrid, resp.) to Line In of Mono Input 2. Switch this channel to Line.

• Connect the input of the Skype computer (or the telephone hybrid, resp.) with Line Out located on the mixer’s surface.

• Turn the knob Talkover Sensitivity to LOW (max. left).*

• Turn the knob Talkover Time to FAST (max. left).

• Turn the knob Talkover Damping to MIN (max. left).

• That’s the preparation so far. To set Skype (or the telephone hybrid, resp.) on air, press the button Talkover on channel 2. (But do not open the fader!) Levelling can be untertaken via the knob Gain.

• You might want to connect a microphone via the Mic In input for a guest (or else). For use with the mic, switch the button Input 2 to Mic and vice versa. Make sure to switch off Talkover whilst using the microphone.

Phoning regards

TSD

* As I do not own one of these mixers myself, I am not quite sure which way Uli Behringer interprets the term „sensitivity“, i.e. turning the knob to its left- or rightmost position. What you want to yield is a minimum impact to the audio sum. Maybe someone will have a shot at this and post his findings here.

Addendum: As the Line In of Mono Input 2 is of balanced nature, you want to connect the (most likely) unbalanced output of the the Skype soundcard via a DI-box. This may be a rather simple passive one, but make sure that it is capable of transforming the audio signal 1:1, i.e. without matching the level to a microphone input – also known as line isolator. (After all, you are using the Line In for Skype, and not the Mic In.) And, importantly, use the correct audio cable, particularly if you are dealing with a 3,5 mm- (¼"-) stereo jack on your sound device. The exact model depends on the type of DI-box you are utilizing, but make sure that in case of mono inputs (which is what these boxes ususally have) you are applying a splitter cable, of which you are using only one end on the DI-box-side.

Matching regards

TSD

Edit: Typoes

Well, it might be a bit hair-splitting, but a DI-Box, usually is made to connect a line level signal, to a balanced microphone input. So they reduce the level and the impedance.

As you have a line input here, there is no Need to transform it to a Microphone signal.
So you need a line-isolator, that does a 1:1 symmetrical conversion.

It might just work with any DI-Box, but considering the signal level and impedance, it creates a missmatch.

Revised.

Regards with 20 characters minimum

TSD

1 Like