Can a Fade time setting be added to each Playlist?

It would be helpful if a default Fade time could (optionally) be specified for each Playlist. One could then have a ‘global’ default Fade time as at present, and the ability to optionally ‘over-ride’ the ‘global’ Fade time for each Playlist.

The ‘select Default fade time’ logic would be:

if (ThisPlaylistOptionsFadeTime is non-blank) then ThisPlaylistFadeTime := ThisPlaylistOptionsFadeTime else begin {if (GlobalOptionsFadeTime is non-blank) then ThisPlaylistFadeTime := GlobalOptionsFadeTime else ThisPlaylistFadeTime := 0;} end;
Or something like that… :slight_smile:

Note that zero should be allowed as a valid value at either Global or Playlist level, and the Playlist Fade time (if present) should always take priority over any Global time defined.

My reason for asking this is so that I can have my ‘music’ Playlist using a Fade time of 2s, my ‘ads.’ Playlist Fade time as 0s, and my ‘jingles’ Playlist (which I want to work like the JazlerShow! Sequence stack of Players) using a Fade of 0.75s. I think other mAirList users would also find this option useful.

If you think this is ‘do-able’ and a good idea, probably the Cartwall should also have its own (optional) Fade time, which would work the same way.

Thanks in advance, but I’ll understand if you have reasons not to do this. What does everyone else think?

PS: Sorry to mention the ‘J’ word, but we only use the JShow! ‘cartwall’ program, honest! And we will be ditching it once I get mAirList up and running in our studio, which is currently awaiting a refit. (I did a Google translation of a certain thread somewhere in here, in case you wondered how I knew that the ‘J’ word might offend you, Torben! :wink: )

BFN
CAD

What thread are you referring to? This one? The problem there is that someone asked for music scheduling features similar to those found in Jazler. But mAirList is supposed to be a pure playout software. Any scheduling should be performed externally, and only ready-made playlists should be imported into mAirList.

So, if there’s a feature found in other software you would like to see in mAirList - feel free to request it.

The per-playlist fade time is a nice idea. What’s the meaning of the zero value? No fading at all?

By the way: If we give each playlist its individual settings, and the cartwall as well, we can drop the global setting, can’t we?

Torben

What thread are you referring to? [url=http://forum.mairlist.de/viewtopic.php?t=839]This one[/url]?
Yes.
The problem there is that someone asked for [b]music scheduling[/b] features similar to those found in Jazler. But mAirList is supposed to be a pure playout software. Any scheduling should be performed externally, and only ready-made playlists should be imported into mAirList.
[b]I couldn't agree MORE! FAR[/b] too many playout systems make the mistake of trying to incorporate 'automated' scheduling. My thoughts on this are simple: if you [i]really[/i] want automated 'station playlist' or 'clockwheel' type scheduling, do what everyone else does, save up your money, buy RCS Selector, and use the 'per-hour playlists' it generates with your preferred [b]playout[/b] software (mAirList for everyone without a big budget, or a seriously pro-level and thus high-priced system like Myriad, WinRadio, Scott Systems, etc.).
The per-playlist fade time is a nice idea. What's the meaning of the zero value? No fading at all?
Thank you! The zero value is as you say, NO fading. If a Playlist with a Fade time of zero contains an item which has a Fade cue point, the Fade is effectively ignored, and the item will keep playing until it reaches its Cue Out point or EOF (whichever happens first). Note that at present, the Start Next [i]is[/i] still performed at the Fade cue point. However, when the new Start Next cue point is implemented, a Fade time of zero means any Fade cue points in items in that Playlist would effectively have no function, because the Start Next would 'take over' that functionality from the existing Fade cue point. Does all that make sense?
If we give each playlist its individual settings, and the cartwall as well, we can drop the global setting, can't we?
I would say no, we [b]do[/b] still need a global setting (that is why I thought about it and gave you the pseudocode I had figured out!). Imagine that you have a four-Playlist configuration and you want all the Playlists except one to have a 2000mS Fade, and the other Playlist to have a 700mS Fade. It would be simpler to be able to set a global value of 2000 and change only the one Playlist's Fade value to 700.

I also guess that many users have only one or two Playlists, and want all of them to use the same Fade time. For them, it is also easier to go to the one global value and change it in that one place, just like manifest constants in a program. :wink:

Have I convinced you yet? I really do try to think through all the consequences before I make any suggestions!

BFN
CAD