Another Cartwall question

Just so you know, i use RadioMan regularly, which has this option of dragging from a cart set into the main playlist.

The way it works in radioman is:

• if you click a cart button, it plays
  • if you click + HOLD, you can then drag and drop into the playlist.

Could the whole issue not be resolved by re-writing the way that mairlist works in terms of what triggers upon click.

What i mean is, couldnt you have it so that a click to start means that you press and release the mouse button, whereas at the moment you only have to press the mouse button to trigger it.

I havent a clue about writting software so don’t know how it works exactly, i just base that example on experience of using radioman.

???

No, it’s the same: IF the Playlist can be configured to NOT remove tracks after they are played (I can’t remember!). That would be the only difference I can think of.

To Tony: remember that the proposed button would live in the Cartwall toolbar (imagine it sitting beside the existing PFLmode button), so whatever it’s called has to make sense ‘relative to’ the Cartwall. STACK doesn’t feel ‘right’ to me. GATHER or the original (and best? ;)) COLLECT is the meaning I’m trying to get across without the user having to think about it (“STACK? Oh yeah, that means ‘you can stack from here now’ …”). As we all know, the less thought required whilst on-air, the better! :smiley: The fact that you already can have stacks within a Cartwall Player clinches it for me: the presenter might think that a STACK button was changing the Cartwall Players from single-play to STACK mode, if you see what I mean? We need a completely unambiguous way of saying ‘if you click this button, you can drag’n’drop these “carts” into a Playlist as new Items.’ Hope that makes sense.

To Lackster: As someone who ‘has a clue’ about writing software ;), writing click-and-HOLD type code could be a total nightmare! :o You would need an OnButtonPressed event to put things into ‘drag’ mode, and a companion OnButtonReleased event which would need to a) check that the mouse pointer is still ‘over’ the same Cart Player as when it was clicked DOWN, and if so: b) perform the ‘when clicked’ action specified in mAirList config. If the pointer HAS moved to a different Cart Player since the button went DOWN, the code would do nothing at all, because it would be impossible to figure out which of the two Cart Players you INTENDED to ‘click.’ Helpfully though, it would also act as a handy way to ‘cancel’ a click or drag. :wink:

BFN
CAD

Actually, reacting on the mouse button being released is much simpler, because you can use the OnClick event. Currently, I’m using OnMouseDown, which is a little bit harder to handle.

The reason why I switched from OnClick to OnMouseDown is that this way the player does actually react instantly (sorry for using the word, Cad). It’s like pressing a real button on your desk or CD player.

If the player reacted on releasing the button, you would get this very small delay between pressing and releasing the button, even if you’re fast.

Hi Cad, I’ll agree with that as stack is already a function a poor choice of name for this extended feature.

Kind Regards tony

No need to apologise, good Herr Doktor! It’s only seeing Instant within a GUI that winds me up.

And I agree that OnMouseDown is of course much more instantaneous to the user than OnClick (or OnMouseUp).

I still prefer the idea of a Jazler! style mode toggle button. I think it should work like the AUTO/ASSIST toggle button in a Playlist Toolbar: and I think that labelling it GATHER (‘on’) and PLAY (‘off’) is the most unambiguous and non-GUI-copyright-infringing :wink: way to label it. GATHER mode should change the button background colour (like AUTO/ASSIST does), and every Cartwall Player’s BorderColor should be changed to/from the ‘GATHER colour’ as well (if that makes sense?). This makes it Even More Obvious that you are (or are not) in GATHER mode!

BFN
CAD

I would agree with CAD - this should be clear to anyone.